Thread: which MPEM

which MPEM

Hi there, have been lurking on here for a few months. I recently changed my steering setup and im pretty certain my new start button has fried somthing in my mpem. I have a 2006 Seadoo RXT

i cant swap it out to test it as i dont know anybody with one, so im just looking to buy one.

Which year's MPEM will work with my ski?

Thankyou in advance!

+1
    What is the problem you are having? Did you try plugging the original harness back in?

I would definitely try to find an MPEM from an RXT first that way you don't have to change any parameters. But, according to the parts microfiche 2005 and 2006 have the same part number for the MPEM across all models.
    To my knowledge, 2007 and newer do not have an MPEM.

Thank you for the reply,

The ski was faultless, I installed some new bars and wired up the start button, tried to start the ski and it just wont fire. So plugged in the standard start button and it does the same now also.

Put lanyard on post, wait for it to beep, can hear fuel pump etc. Press start and it just turns the fuel pump off then on. Ive checked all fuses, battery is new and charged, it tries to turn over when i short the starter reg.

Im guessing i have burnt out something in the mpem.

+1

which MPEM

Could be the key post. How many beeps do you hear initially when you land the key?

Normally you want to hear two short beeps(this means key is recognized) followed by the three short beeps every few seconds(the annoying reminder that the key was left and ignition is active).

If you get a single long beep when you land the key, followed by the periodic three short beeps, most likely the post is not recognizing the coded chip within the key.

If you're getting the long beep, Id turn attention to the key post. The starter button, the purple wire goes to the MPEM and the yellow/red wire goes to the ECU. It is normally open, when closed(button pressed) signal is sent from one to the other. Unless you shorted one of these wires to power or ground, not much could go wrong here.
    Last edited by tmarsh; 01-04-2017 at 10:37 PM.

When I land the key on the post, I get a long beep followed by the periodic beeping. So the post isn't recognising the key? What could have caused this all of a sudden as I've never had issues with this before. Thanks
    Last edited by Inmate; 01-05-2017 at 04:28 AM.

+1
    So now its either the post, key or ECU. The ECU is what stores the key information. Did you replace the post when you got the new handlebars or swap the old one to the new bars? And are you 100% sure its the correct key for that ski?(I've been there) If you have multiple skis.

Is the post mounted to something metal? I'm not sure if that would cause an issue, but the metal could be messing with the magnetic signal. You could try taking the post and wiring out away from it and see if that helps. I only say that because stock it is mounted to plastic.

Check all the wiring down as far as you can, connector pins are tight and clean, no cut or bare wires that could be shorting.

You might try just replacing the post. That would be your cheapest repair. Next would be to have the dealer check and see if the key is still programmed in there.

If you have candoo you could log in and check that yourself. Or disable the DESS entirely to where a magnet would start the engine.

2002 - 2006 all have the mpem with the same part number. However 2002 to 2004 are different. You will get a tops fault, if you use one from 2002 - 2004.

I suspect the mpem is fine though. The long beep indicates a fault. It's probably having issues reading the key..

Have you checked the battery voltage? Tested the dess post?

Ive checked all the wiring, the post is now mounted differently since i swapped the bars. ive pulled the entire wiring for the post/start/buzzer and checked it all over. plugged in and tried again with the post not mounted, its definitely the correct key as i only have one key/ski.

I was looking at the candoopro moths ago so now mite be the time to purchase it. The battery is fine, its new and i tried my motorcycle battery and have the same result. where is the best place to purchase the candoopro unit, im in australia. I appreciate the replys to fellas, thankyou.

+1

which MPEM

I definitely recommend Candoo pro. It has come in handy a number of times for me.
    I've seen a few posts on here where people's MPEMs/ECUs just loose memory and change settings for no reason. Maybe static got to it while changing the battery, who knows. Could have happened with yours I suppose, since there's nothing popping out at you. Candoo can find that out.
    I purchased mine directly from candoo pro. You can also get it through the greenhulk store.

10. +1 by:

Thread Information