Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some help removing spark plug tip from cylinder

Just started a light winter project on a gp1200 I picked up last summer. Motors fine, going to do a oil pump delete and cat delete, some detailing and put that sucker in the water.
    Anyway I went to pull the plugs and the PO had some plugs in with the screw on tips, didn't expect it and the f'ing thing fell off and right into the center cylinder.
    I'm thinking of making a step down tube using my shop vac but thought I would see if anyone else has any good ideas? I really don't feel like pulling the head off but not the end of the world if I do.
    Happy new year

+1
    Grab tool from Lowe's or probably at HF
    https://m.lowes.com/pd/General-Tools...6-0ca3aa58cfa4

+1
    What position is the piston in? If it's down it could have rolled into one of the ports.

I'd try a bent piece of wire with a glob of grease on the end, or just pull the head as you said. If it has gone down a port your into some major engine tear down to find it

+1
    If it's steel I'd try a magnetic pickup tool. Everything else being aluminum it should be easy to keep from going to the walls.

+1
    try a strong Magnet first ( if the tip was steel )...if it went into the porting it could be at the crank....your lucky its a two stroke and easy to work on....you probably need to check the piston anyway.........have fun

+1
    You could also use a magnetic extending pickup tool. Use a boroscope to take a look inside if you need to. Hate to see you have to remove the head for this (new gasket and all...)

Pull the head, gasket can be reused most of the time, get a torque wrench. It's easy, don't separate the top plate from the cyl head. If that piston was down that sucker can do lots of damage wondering around the motor. It's too cold to ride now anyway.

8. +1 by:

Thanks guys! So it's not steel (not magnetic) piston is about 2 inches from the top. I have an inspection camera and can see it clear as day!!!!
    I've moved it but have yet to be able to pull it out. Tried double sided tape, the grabber won't bend in that amount of space so that's out. I'm on my way home now with my shop vac, I'll give that a go and keep you guys posted!
    Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it

+1
    what ever you do do NOT let the piston go any further down this part can fall in one of the of the port openings if they get exposed then you have got big problems.

+1
    How about the 2 sided tape on the inspection camera?
    Or - (this is a bit crafty...)
    Take a piece of coat hanger and bend a small 90 tab on end (1/4 inch or so) , then bend a 90 in at appropriate place to fish down cyl w it to the piece. Idea is to be able to touch piece w small tabbed end of coat hanger.
    Cut a strip of duct tape about a foot long and 1/2 inch wide. Place end of coat hanger rig in middle of duct tape (on silver side, sticky side out) and bring ends of tape back to you so you can hold both ends of tape while fishing to stick the piece.
    Duct tape is mad sticky as we all know, maybe that will grab it?

I get crazy ideas sometimes...

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information