Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

RXPX-260 Ride Plate Drop

Getting to know my skis pretty well now and they don't like to part with the plate easily.

I have drained coolant, bolts removed, and the 2 hoses off the plastic studs inside the hull. I see lots of you have put a bottle jack and a piece of wood in there to push the plastic ports down through the hull.

Is there anymore prep I need to do before pushing these pieces through via a jack (anything else on the plastic in/out port like unscrewing a part of it?).

What a pain in the ass. All my stuff back there in the hull has to come out anyway, but what a hassle for those that just want to get the plate off.....

Guess I should be prepared to do some major scraping under the ski once off. That material looks to be pretty damn hard.

Wouldn't be so bad if I just had one ski to do, now I'm thinking about having to do the other sister PX too. F**ck!!

Thanks guys!

+1
    Why you pulling the plate?

Get some plastic wood splitter wedges and you can tap them in on either side of the plate starting at the back and work them in while cutting what you can with a razor blade ... tap cut, tap cut...it will come off Pretty easy and less chance of breaking it IMO.

+1

RXPX-260 Ride Plate Drop

Quote Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post
    Why you pulling the plate?

Get some plastic wood splitter wedges and you can tap them in on either side of the plate starting at the back and work them in while cutting what you can with a razor blade ... tap cut, tap cut...it will come off Pretty easy and less chance of breaking it IMO.
    Thanks! Gotta get the plates to Jim.
    Then I'll have to see what relief options I have for possible stuffing.

What are you all doing in that regard? Maybe drilling pump / inserting relief valves of some sort?

+1
    John as long as you have the inside hose's disconnected you are good. Just be carefull. Just use the tips above he suggust.

relief options are similar to the gpr. I have never used a jims plate on a rxpx, so i will ask the guys that have to chime in. I was always affraid because im to old and with my job cant sacrifice or chance getting hurt.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire View Post
    John as long as you have the inside hose's disconnected you are good. Just be carefull. Just use the tips above he suggust.

relief options are similar to the gpr. I have never used a jims plate on a rxpx, so i will ask the guys that have to chime in. I was always affraid because im to old and with my job cant sacrifice or chance getting hurt.
    Was looking at this huge post from a while back where Glade Rider put in these cool relief discharge outlets from the top of pump tunnel exiting at rear above IBR gate guard. Looks nice and clean.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0248.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	404272

Name:	IMG_0249.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	404273

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	404274

Name:	IMG_0247.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	404275

+1
    I took out the plastic fittings from the plate that the hoses connect to they just unscrew very easily. I used a bottle jack pushed up as far into the pump area as possible and then just pumped it slowly, put a knife in there and cut as I went. It was actually a really easy process. Put a towel down or something so when the plate drops it doesn't smash on the ground. Get some razor blades, sharp flat head screw driver bits also work good, also a small craft knife set with small blades worked great aswell. there are going to be two little concave holes recessed into the body of the ski you have to get all of the sealant out of there or the ride plate won't sit right. Also test fit about 50 times to make sure you got all of the sealant and the plate sits flush with the hull.

+1
    What's the stuff speed on a T3 hull with that plate?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    What's the stuff speed on a T3 hull with that plate?
    No idea. I keep seeing 80mph on here and sometimes people are reporting lower than that. I also keep seeing 40psi or so on the tunnel pressure as the magic ejection seat number.

My goal is to try and do as much as I can to prevent future issues (whatever those may be) while I have the ski apart, so I don't become a pro at disassembling the PX and putting it all back together.

I don't want to throw it all together, find the stuff speed, take it apart, put relief in, put back together, etc.....I can see the whole summer now with me working inside the hull. I just want to play with prop pitch, cones, and nozzles during the fun times and leave seat on if all possible.

I don't wanna come off either, I've been there and done that above 85 on a GPR. It was no different than jumping out of a moving vehicle going down the highway.

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    I heard the sea doo ride plate r&r was more complicated what is on top of it? And why? I'm sure they engineered it that way for a reason?..

+1
    It has the standard 4 bolts but the plate itself (inside of it) is the heat exchanger for the ski so there are 2 large ports running up from the plate into the hull (one side in and one side is the exit), so it makes it hard to remove (you have to take most of the stuff in the back out of the ski in order to disconnect the coolant hoses feeding the plate. Then there's the god awful goop that you have to scrape off so that you can have a clean starting point to fit another plate (and/or modified plate) back on there. I have to get mine off so I can get the open loop cooling modification done to it (where I am not using the heat exchanger aspect of the plate). The plates will go to Jim for his magic, but while I have everything apart, I've been looking for some pump relief options too.

But yes I was used to changing ride plates on my GPR's in under a minute or so. This is totally different. I am still learning it though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information