Decibel readings?

As the topic says, does anyone have an accurate decibel readings for the newer 4 stroke engines?
    Last edited by K447; 12-26-2016 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Decibel

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you asking about exhaust sound levels outside the hull during normal riding?

Sound levels for the rider or for people on shore?

+1
    Just wear earplugs... The danger to your eardrums isn't from the motor, but from the wind at speed.

It is for people standing on the shore, im not thinking about when im riding myself. Jetski rules in Norway are very strict and sound is often used as an argument against us.

+1
    The IJSBA use to monitor the sound level from the rear of the skis during races and they couldnt be above 88 to 90 db. That was back in the 2 stroke days though. I dont think they care about that anymore. As long as your exhaust is stock then it should be quiet enough and ok.

Well, the average outboard is about 80 db so seems like I've got my answer there, thanks!

+1
    Stock skis are so quiet that you could hear the water getting blasted out of the pump. Wayyy to quiet for me so had to gut the water box and straight pipe it.. also had to straight pipe my truck.. car.. last ski.. brothers ski.. I think I have a problem

8. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickspark View Post
    Well, the average outboard is about 80 db so seems like I've got my answer there, thanks!
    Distance between sound source and the ear is an important factor in how loud something 'seems'.

The orientation of the watercraft to the listener is also a factor. A watercraft running parallel to the shore is going to sound different than a watercraft with hull rear directed towards the shore.

There are many different methods of measuring sound levels, even though the readings are measured in dB the actual numbers are not directly comparable if the sound levels were measured differently.

Sound character is also important, some noises can be much more annoying than other sounds at the same loudness.

Have you asked the manufacturers for sound level information? They engineer and measure the sound levels from their products, even if the sound measurements are not posted in the marketing materials.

Thread Information