Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Sea Doo Prospect???

Hey Guys,

Long time no chat. I've been out of the PWC scene for a couple of years. Had my first born and started college. Now that things have settled down I'd like to take ownership of another ski. Not so much of a project like my last (97 Polaris SLT750). While it was fun getting it going and it made a fine machine, I had to sale since I needed to money and I got every penny out it.

But enough of that and the real reason why I'm here. I have within my area a good prospective machine that I wanted to run by you'll and see what you think? It's a 2000 Sea Doo GTX Millennium Edition. I read on KBB that it could have a 752 or 981. That I'm unsure of at the moment. What I do know is.... 1-owner. It's been garage kept. Listing includes cover, trailer, and 3 life jackets. White/Green color. Asking price $2000. According to the lady it has less than 200 hours, but not exactly sure how many?

You be the judge and please give me any personal experience that you might can share, or what to look for when going to check it out. I have a good feeling it's been kept in fresh water, but not 100% for sure. I'm thinking I should bring a jump box to fire it and see how she sounds? I don't want to get stuck with anything.

Thanks for your time,

Merry Christmas

-Bryan

+1
    Any older ski will likely be at least somewhat of a "project". If the 'Doo has the 951cc engine I would stay away. At 200 hours the 951 will require a full overhaul. The 787 on the other hand is a GREAT engine setup. Plenty of power and very reliable even with some mods. Will likely require new fuel lines, oil lines, and a carb cleaning. At a glance the 951 will be leaned towards the starboard (right) side. With a huge black colored pipe also running down the same side. The 787 will be leaned towards the port side with pipe on carbed version also running down the same side. The RFI pipe runs down the starboard side.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Any older ski will likely be at least somewhat of a "project". If the 'Doo has the 951cc engine I would stay away. At 200 hours the 951 will require a full overhaul. The 787 on the other hand is a GREAT engine setup. Plenty of power and very reliable even with some mods. Will likely require new fuel lines, oil lines, and a carb cleaning. At a glance the 951 will be leaned towards the starboard (right) side. With a huge black colored pipe also running down the same side. The 787 will be leaned towards the port side with pipe on carbed version also running down the same side. The RFI pipe runs down the starboard side.
    Thanks so much for the reply! That definitely gives me some thinking to do. I might ask the seller to picture under the seat. Or swing by and look at it. I'll agree with you on the "project" term. I'm not opposed to replacing lines and performing a carb service. I am however not looking to undertake an engine rebuild. Have a garage with tools but don't have the time to commit. You were very descriptive on which engine would look like and I really appreciate that as well. I'll keep up to date with the progress...

+1
    I would not shy away from a 951 if it is indeed a fresh water ski. I put 280 hrs on mine with zero issues. 200 hrs of salt is a whole different story.

+1
    If it is green and white in color, it is not going to have a 785/787 or a 947/951 engine. Those skis were not available in green and white in 2000. The only green and white that year was a GTI and that had a 717/720 in it. Complete upright engine, silver in color.

720's were bullet proof and long lasting. Probably still needs carbs rebuilt and fuel lines replaced at the least.

+1
    It might be easier to share the link with you guys. I have the app "letgo" but I copied the link and they're online of course. So this might be more helpful...

http://app.letgo.com/k8Mk/aLHPhSvVqz

As I can see it's got EFI and the sticker clearly indicates GTX. Along with Melinium Edition. Your the experts. I just need a little help. Thanks again!!!

+1
    If I buy any 951 engine ski I always tear them down to the crank ,this way you know what you are dealing with.Relatively speaking they are cheap to fix (compared to a 4 banger) and make good power.If you know how to maintain them any 951 based ski can be reliable in fresh and salt water.If you do rebuild it try to get an OEM crank and use OEM 951 DI exhaust manifold gaskets as they work better in stopping water gallery leaks.

+1
    That has a 951 di in it. Just do yourself a favor and take a pass. The di engines can be a nightmare to fix.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    If I buy any 951 engine ski I always tear them down to the crank ,this way you know what you are dealing with.Relatively speaking they are cheap to fix (compared to a 4 banger) and make good power.If you know how to maintain them any 951 based ski can be reliable in fresh and salt water.If you do rebuild it try to get an OEM crank and use OEM 951 DI exhaust manifold gaskets as they work better in stopping water gallery leaks.
    Ive read a little about this engine. Some claim it's not as bad as it's been made out to be. It was a bad engine in the beginning in regards to water on the intake and other issues. This is what I read...

There is nothing BAD about that motor.... what you are hearing is inexperienced shop personell that have a bad taste for first year introduction.

The problem is, in 1998 seadoo introduced the all neww 951 platform. they had some issues such as....

1.) intake was facing down in hull so when you got water in the ski it would be sucked into the intake and cause water injestion and eventually the crank would go bad and the cylinders got water washed causing siezures...

2.) The exhaust gasket directly oin top of the motor would leak forcing again water down the intake...

There were recals where the dealers did repairs such as replacing intake to a better system and placing a rubber diaper type thing around the exhaust coupler with a water drain on the bottom to direct water if it failed.

most of these issues were resolved in 1999 and 2000 so look around the pipe to header connection and see if you have the rubber diaper. if so I would assume you are fine.

Agreed or does anyone have a different take? Pricing wise it's tough to get a good deal on a ski in good shape in my area. I don't want to pass but then don't want a nightmare either.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanford View Post
    That has a 951 di in it. Just do yourself a favor and take a pass. The di engines can be a nightmare to fix.
    Thanks for the input! Do you have any personal experience with this engine? Do you know anyone that has?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information