Having trouble with 02 Virage I 800

O.k. Guys I had a customer bring in his 02 Virage I. He stated that it was having hard cold starts but runs great when warmed up. He also couldn't use the start stop button to kill his ski. I told him that I would have to diagnose the hard starting problem first. Here is a list of what I tested. I first pulled codes of the EMM they were 12= TPS circuit malfunction 49= Air temp above range and 47=Air temp sensor malfunction, This told me that I was already going to have to deal with a couple of issues. So I went through the whole battery of test I checked spark it was good, compression on both cylinders were 145psi. Resitance on injectors is 1.4 ohms and 20 + volts when cranking the engine, Voltage at the battery is 12.5 sitting 11.5 when cranking, Crank shaft position sensor was 144 ohms. Fuel pressure was 4psi but when return line was clamped I would get 30psi Circuit breaker for fuel pump was 12.5 battery side and fluxulated between 7.5-10v on fuel pump side. The starter solenoid was the old style and had a crack in it. I also noticed that the power wire to the circuit breaker was smashed and the fuel pump wire had cracks and exposed wiring. Now this is the work that I have done First I fixed the smashed and cracked wires and replaced the breaker with a good one. Result 12.5 volts on both side of the breaker. Next I retest fuel pump pressure and there was no change so I removed the fuel pump sending unit and found the regulator at the bottom of the tank I repaired that and reinstalled it. Now I get 22psi through the fuel lines but still won't start. Next I replaced TPS and the Fresh air sensor and the Solenoid. The result is that it will start and sputter and die If I feather the throttle it runs a little longer and then dies. I did check the plugs and they are PZFR6H they look to be fouled and I have new ones one the way. With the symptoms of the Start stop switch not shutting off the motor could it be the Start Stop regulator. I did the bypass test and it still just acts like it wants to start. Or do I need to just sent out the EMM to have check. Thanks and sorry for such a long post

+1
    It would be very unusual to have that many components logging fail codes at the same time. As such, I'm leaning toward EMM issues. The quick and significant step in the process of elimination is to swap out the EMM with another. Based on what you've reported, I'm assuming you would have done so if you had one available.

Often when the EMM begin to fail, the engine timing will vary wildly. The symptoms you reported would be indicative of such. The EMM logs the timing values in a service report that is accessible via DW. Checking those timing values for wild swings can be another confirmation of a defective EMM.

I archive the service report and create a file with the injector data for each of my PWCs. I've attached a service report you can compare to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Service Info 05-28-16.pdf  

3. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by AOS Motorsports View Post
    O.k. Guys I had a customer bring in his 02 Virage I. had cracks and exposed wiring. Now this is the work that I have done First I fixed the smashed and cracked wires and replaced the breaker with a good one. Result 12.5 volts on both side of the breaker. Next I retest fuel pump pressure and there was no change so I removed the fuel pump sending unit and found the regulator at the bottom of the tank I repaired that and reinstalled it. Now I get 22psi through the fuel lines but still won't start. Next I replaced TPS and the Fresh air sensor and the Solenoid. The result is that it will start and sputter and die If I feather the throttle it runs a little longer and then dies. I did check the plugs and they are PZFR6H they look to be fouled and I have new ones one the way. With the symptoms of the Start stop switch not shutting off the motor could it be the Start Stop regulator. I did the bypass test and it still just acts like it wants to start. Or do I need to just sent out the EMM to have check. Thanks and sorry for such a long post
    I'd say the Emm is damaged a truckload of error codes point to this

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I tend to agree the EMM itself is suspect.

Cool

Thanks Guys that's what I was thinking but was just reinforcing my thought process. I tried all last week to get a hold of DFI Technologies all week and just got voice mail even left a few messages and never heard back are they still working on EMMs or out of bussiness. And thanks for all the info K447 your tech page gave me great insight on this Ski. And made me a better Tech

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Likely a safe bet the DFI is close for the holiday week just be patient sometimes are hard to get hold of just like I am

Thread Information