Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nice Tool for Scheduled Maintenance :)

For 2018 I was told Kawasaki might be including one of these with each new sale to handle unscheduled-scheduled maintenance. LOL

For whatever reason these machines like to seize and strip spark plug holes more than any other watercraft known to man. Some blame the user, some blame the design. In the end it has to be dealt with.

This handy tool threads into what's left of the old hole, reams to the desired size and then threads the hole for the helicoil insert, in one step with no need for a drill. It aligns perfectly too. I had one messed up hole and am tempeted to do the other three as everyone knows stainless steel threads are stronger and by virtue the newly manufactured/cut threads are actually larger in the aluminum head now.

Because the drive is 3/8" square a socket extension can be used with a tee handle should you want to tap from the end with the recessed hole. While I would not recommend guys have repaired threads in-situ greasing the tool to catch the swarf. Then they tie a small piece of thread/string to the coil tang with a knot and crazy glue to retrieve after knock out, just saying is all.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    For 2018 I was told Kawasaki might be including one of these with each new sale to handle unscheduled-scheduled maintenance. LOL

For whatever reason these machines like to seize and strip spark plug holes more than any other watercraft known to man. Some blame the user, some blame the design. In the end it has to be dealt with.

This handy tool threads into what's left of the old hole, reams to the desired size and then threads the hole for the helicoil insert, in one step with no need for a drill. It aligns perfectly too. I had one messed up hole and am tempeted to do the other three as everyone knows stainless steel threads are stronger and by virtue the newly manufactured/cut threads are actually larger in the aluminum head now.

Because the drive is 3/8" square a socket extension can be used with a tee handle should you want to tap from the end with the recessed hole. While I would not recommend guys have repaired threads in-situ greasing the tool to catch the swarf. Then they tie a small piece of thread/string to the coil tang with a knot and crazy glue to retrieve after knock out, just saying is all.

Seems like a good idea but I'm sure there will be a round of opinions ranging from it's great to Kawasaki being the dumbest company on the planet to use these small spark plugs.... LOL

What kind of oil is in your crankcase.......

+1
    There's never anything wrong with a good tool we all like them.

Thing is there's thousands of kawi skis out there and not everyone has stuck plug issues just like not everyone with a 14-15 yamaha breaks a chain although with the noise made you think they are all time bombs. Everyone who does, of course, take better care of their ski then anyone else does and cant figure out how it could ever happen etc. Forrest gump said it best, shit happens. Fix it and move on. Need help with removal/timing etc we can help

+1
    Sadly, greasing the tool will NOT catch all the debris. I've done it (not on the Kawasaki), then shined a light down the spark plug hole. I was amazed at the crap on top of the piston in spite of the grease. I ended up pulling the head and doing it right.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    The wheel bearings on my trailer rusted up too because it has a KAWASAKI ON IT
    Better blame the stupid design of the bearing seals etc , or the ski.

Because yamaha & Seafood jetski trailers never have this problem.....

Bet the people who have stuck plugs wouldn't even know what the above tool is for bahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    The wheel bearings on my trailer rusted up too because it has a KAWASAKI ON IT
    Better blame the stupid design of the bearing seals etc , or the ski.

Because yamaha & Seafood jetski trailers never have this problem.....

Bet the people who have stuck plugs wouldn't even know what the above tool is for bahahahaha
    WHAT! You let your Wheel Bearings seize up???

It's not too late for Santa to put a Grease Gun in your Stocking! JB

Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post

There is a quick way and a correct way todo things and for this application I would personally not use a helicoil I would rather spend a little more time and not end up doing it again in the near future .

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160923_120226.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	404207

+1
    I grind the last few threads off the plug. The last few threads stick through the head and rust on the inside making it tough for them to come out

10. +1 by:

+1
    ^ Pretty cool idea right there...

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information