Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernies10 View Post
    Great news! Atleast now you will be able to ride without the timing chain headache!
    thanks man!!!
    yes I was pumped so I got a free 130 hrs and 2 years out of that motor. also I think my timing chain break story was the best I have heard- on the dock flushing, I got soooo lucky! the only better would be on the trailer flushing!!!

I know of 5 down here 3 broke on the dock like yours..one broke on start up, chug chug chug clink!!!

warranty is good. YES YES YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    I know of 5 down here 3 broke on the dock like yours..one broke on start up, chug chug chug clink!!!

warranty is good. YES YES YES!!!
    man thats awesome-I was so happy when it broke! when mine broke it backfired pretty freakin loud

+1
    So what year skis are having issues? I am now back in a market for ski looking for a good used one and Yamaha was a option
    but the timing chain issue has sort of spoked me away. Just sold my Kawasaki 15F and in 3 years not one issue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MPG350 View Post
    So what year skis are having issues? I am now back in a market for ski looking for a good used one and Yamaha was a option
    but the timing chain issue has sort of spoked me away. Just sold my Kawasaki 15F and in 3 years not one issue.
    14/15 svho

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    14/15 svho
    Thanks, so the pre 2014 FZR/FZS are good for the most part?

Quote Originally Posted by MPG350 View Post

Thanks, so the pre 2014 FZR/FZS are good for the most part?
    idk but before i bought a 14/15 fz or fx svho i would check with yamaha to make sure they would cover the chain breaking second hand. the svho motor is a big jump from the sho. i see plenty of left over 16 fz's sitting around id buy one of those- it bet they will give u a good deal on one since its a dead ski.

+1
    Pre 14's are okay, since they're the SHO motors, If you get a good deal on a 14/15 theres a kit Jerry has in the forum store that updates the chain to the redesigned 2016 models.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seabrook View Post
    idk but before i bought a 14/15 fz or fx svho i would check with yamaha to make sure they would cover the chain breaking second hand. the svho motor is a big jump from the sho. i see plenty of left over 16 fz's sitting around id buy one of those- it bet they will give u a good deal on one since its a dead ski.
    Cool, thanks for the info.

+1

TC -- affected models 1.8

I think it is true that the vast majority of broken timing chains are 2014 SVHOs.

However, I can tell you for a fact that TCs break in all 1.8 engines and pre-14 are not safe. There are several well documented reports of HO motors TC breaking on the jetboaters.net site.

Obviously, due to difference in SVHO and HO power, as well as riding style w/skis, the HO 1.8 (featured in most newer boats) have TC failure rates significantly lower (as compared to SVHOs).

My understanding is that the timing chain and associated parts were replaced in all 1.8l engines produced after 07/15. So, for example, a boat made in 10/15 would have the new parts.

There are pictures of upgraded TCs available somewhere here on greenhulk.net.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information