Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Mechanic RIPPED me off big time** Yamaha xlt800

Well I took my 2002 ski to jet tek water sports in West Palm to get my carbs done. They call me and tell me the carbs or good but may need a new PV or it's sticking. But I have to pay $641 before they can check the PV. They quoted me no more than 350 but said they will let me know a price before anything. Next call I get the bill is at 577 again they said they had to remove the engine to check the powervalve but the PV is good. They say it still has a problem staying up after about 20mph or so. Well that was the same thing it was doing before I took it to them. So I told them just stop working on it if they going to keep charging me. Now I'm out over $1000 and the ski does the exact same thing as before. Now the speedometer doesn't work and they don't answer my calls. I don't think they did the carbs right because it's like it's starving for fuel at high rpm but the filter stays at least half full the whole time. It goes if I prime it and I can keep it up at 40mph or so priming it. What do you guys think
    Last edited by tikihuts.forless; 12-22-2016 at 06:14 PM.

Learn how to fix your own ski and save money doing it

Sent from my 831C using GreenHulk PWC Performance Forums mobile app

+1
    Get a 4 stroke.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    have a conversation with somebody in charge. "I am willing to pay a reasonable amount of money to have my ski fixed correctly. if your techs cannot, then what am I paying for?..their education on how to diagnose a two stroke with some kind of problem?"

"Somebody" has either made a grievous mistake on diagnosis or the engine has an air leak or bad crank seal. Correct diagnosis of such a thing is expensive, and repairs are even more expensive. It's nearly an entire teardown most of the time.

When people call me and say " I need to get the carbs redone" I get nervous, as more often then not, it's something else, and it stomps on peoples egos to tell them they are wrong.

Keep this in mind when negotiating.

and yeah, get a four stroke. Two strokes are failing in large numbers as the fleet ages out and they are in most cases not worth the expenses to repair.

There are plenty of exceptional examples around, but they demand top dollar mostly.

Reliability is paramount when your on the ocean and with all due respects, I'm not putting my butt on a 98 seadoo gtx unless it's been fully refreshed..and figure that's close to 3k these days.

+1
    Ive seen Australian Jetski shops charge $550 to "check the carbs " on an XL1200 Ltd and then another $50 to water test it ! I bought this XL1200LTD with a damaged PTO cylinder and used the engine in a good GPR hull I had. The XL came with all the service receipts over a few years that the original owner kept . WOW is an understatement , talk about rip off service charges .
    There is no way in hell I would ever have any of these dealers touch any Yamaha I own , I do all my own work .
    Queensland PWC shops are out of this world . Good thing im in NSW .

+1
    Shops usually charge by the hour, and and should be providing you an accurate diagnosis. The mechanics that work on the PV motors ought to be able to accurately diagnose and quote a cost, a timeframe, and stick to it. They are simple motors to diagnose. If an extra part is needed (like reeds), they would just charge for extra parts. If there is extra labor, it should not be much. It sounds like the shop is incompetent.

But seriously, get rid of that XLT and get a 4-stroke. You can pickup VX110s for $3k now. I'd take a 500+ hour VX110 over a brand new XLT any day. Depending on how much you ride, the VX will require oil/filter/plugs once a year. Put gas in and ride it worry free.

-Greg

OK thanks guys. unfortunately I already bought 2 matching xlt800's for 4000 with trailer. So today I swapped the carbs from my working ski and put it on the ski that doesn't run good and the carbs are great. The ski that does work runs faster than before now with the carbs off the one that doesn't. And the one that doesn't still doesn't run right with carbs from the one that does.

The mechanic supposedly swapped out sending units also with one I brought him off another ski I have the same also. 3 skis in total but motor no good on third. I'm going to swap sending units with ski that does work and see what happens. Any other part on the ski that would cause this problem

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_1286634044708328.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	404293. Does this stator look bad to you? I swapped computer and coil packs and it made no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tikihuts.forless View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_1286634044708328.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	404293. Does this stator look bad to you? I swapped computer and coil packs and it made no difference.
    Get a shop manual it will save you time and money and most likely tell you how to test the starter for correct diagnostic .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information