Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy 1995 Waverunner stuck in limp mode

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums but not to jet skis but have an issue with my 95 Waverunner maybe someone has come across before. Broke a conrod a year ago and during the past year purchased a new 'hotrods' crank, new top end and had a rebore. My mechanic friend put it back together and I reinstalled the engine last weekend after removing the oil pump and premixing. The motor starts fine but does not rev. It seems to be stuck in limp home mode even though the temp sensor is working fine and currently open circuit. I can test this while running because the control wire runs up to the display unit as well as running into the CDI unit. I have installed an inline spark tester and confirm that I have great spark until I try to rev and I lose spark on both cylinders. Am I guessing correct that the CDI unit has faulted and is there anyway to fix it other than purchase another one? Any suggestions would be welcome.

+1
    Check voltage rectifier ... they act like this when they go bad .

3. +1 by:

Just removed the electrical box and disconnected all components. Tested with a multimeter as per the Service manual. All the readings were within tolerance except measurement of the secondary coil resistance on the Ignition coil. In the manual it specifies 13.8-29.0 Kohms at 20 degrees C. I got a reading of 45 Kohms. Not really sure if this is far enough out to have the effect of simulating ''limp home mode'' though. Anyone with any ideas. The voltage regulator tested OK and also the CDI unit but without a known spare I cannot guarantee they're not the problem.

+1
    Did you check voltage at the battery while idling and while revving?

Good morning, thanks for your reply, because my original battery is 'kaput', I'm actually starting and running the ski with a fully charged car battery so that should minimize voltage drop. Because the ignition coil was the only 'out of spec' component I could find, off to the big city to purchase another and with high hopes fitted and tested. Nothing had changed, bummer. I suppose there's nothing like having a spare. With such a large battery I was able to run the ski with the regulator disconnected also, and again no change. Unfortunately the local Yamaha agent does not keep CDI units in stock so I can't test this last piece of the puzzle.

+1
    i feel like your cdi is good. I'm leaning more towards a bad charge coil on the stator. You can backprobe the connectors to the stator inside the e-box. You'll belooking for ac voltage at idle then while revving.

+1
    If you have never had it in the water since you rebuilt it try this. If you are running the ski out of the water and on a hose put it in the water and test ride it. I had the same problem and did not realise it was hitting the rev limiter when I rev it up on the trailer with no load on the motor. These motors rev real quick out of the water. I put the ski it the water and it ran perfect. Please try it befor you go any further. If the problem still exist up plug the voltage regulator and see what happens ( some times the charge colis will get shorted to ground and cause this also. Tommy Jordan

Hi Guys , thanks for the posts. A little back ground info may help. When the ski originally broke, my engine rebuilder and I removed the motor for him to disassemble in his own time. Unfortunately while removing the flywheel, he just nicked one of the coils but was enough to open circuit it. After trying to track down just a replacement coil he bit the bullet and imported a complete stator plate from the USA. Eventually after being rebuilt with new crank assembly, new top end and a rebore I installed back into the ski, plugged the hose in and started it up. I also took the opportunity to premix and remove the pump and oil lines. Started well and idled fine but I never gave it any throttle. So the following day, off to the lake and in the water, putted around to warm the engine up and then some throttle and no joy. Initially I thought spark but the ski would even still run with either lead unplugged. I stripped the carbs down and they were amazingly clean for having sat for 18 months. Richard my engine man also run 2 of these skis so he swapped over the complete carb set from one of his and no change. I then purchased an inline spark tester and found a bright orange glow at idle but and accelerator would kill the light. The ski does not stall at this time, just splutter. That's when I went through the Yamaha service manual and checked all resistance readings foe the electrics and could only find the ignition coil H.T out of spec.
    About the charge coil, can I run the ski no problem with it disconnected?

Thanks Nick

+1
    If it's a new aftermarket stator I'd bet money on it not creating enough primary voltage to keep the ignition lit up good with more RPM's. Seen it several times now.

Hello again, I just dragged the ski back out of the garage and fired it back up. At idle I was getting a reasonably steady 17VAC between brown/white and black while everything was connected and running. While giving it some throttle dropped it back to about 12VAC. Unfortunately the charge coil was the one that got damaged during removal so I cannot even swap out for the original. From your experience, what should the output be? Should it stay the same or go higher with more revs?

Just tested the voltage from the charge coil with it disconnected and cranking on my car battery. I was getting a steady 70VAC if that's any help
    Regards Nick
    Last edited by Henman; 12-27-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information