96,97 waveventure questions

Going to check out a couple of these for sale in my area, I've read the 760's can be pretty reliable. There's also a couple 1100's for sale, is the reliability as good with them also? Is the fuel usage vs power output worth going with the 1100? I've heard heads often need to be rebuilt after 200 hrs. Wondering how many hours others have on theirs and what you've run into.

Couple dumb questions,

I have a 12v 19ah battery I use for floundering, fully charged is that sufficient for compression tests on these? Or should I plan on jump starting from my truck if needed.

friend of mine has one of these, https://store.snapon.com/Compression...e-P650745.aspx will that work for the 760/1100's ?

Thanks!

+1
    That batery should be fine to test compression. I have had both engines, the 1100 uses a lot more fuel and is only 2-3 mph faster in stock forum. Two cylinder motors seem to hold up longer than a 3 cylinder does over time. 300-400 hours use on them is what I see. IF they are cared for correctly over time. If they are neglected 100-150 hours. You don't want them at all if they have been used in salt water or show to have been neglected. The cost to do a major repair to a motor is almost as much as you will pay for the ski. A therough inspection from top to bottom in and out is a must befor you purchase a used ski. Good Luck. Tommy Jordan

3. +1 by:

Great info, thanks. Maybe I'll focus more on the 760's then. Here on the gulf coast, we are pretty much all salt water. What components should I maybe inspect more if they're salt water use?

Any thoughts on that compression tester, I assume it's pretty standard?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by saltspray02 View Post
    Going to check out a couple of these for sale in my area, I've read the 760's can be pretty reliable. There's also a couple 1100's for sale, is the reliability as good with them also? Is the fuel usage vs power output worth going with the 1100? I've heard heads often need to be rebuilt after 200 hrs. Wondering how many hours others have on theirs and what you've run into.

Couple dumb questions,

I have a 12v 19ah battery I use for floundering, fully charged is that sufficient for compression tests on these? Or should I plan on jump starting from my truck if needed.

friend of mine has one of these, https://store.snapon.com/Compression...e-P650745.aspx will that work for the 760/1100's ?

Thanks!
    I can't attest to the 1100 longevity, but I had a Waveraider 760 for 15 years with over 1,300 hours on it that never needed a rebuild. The day I sold it, it still had perfect compression.

A buddy of mine purchased two XL760s as a result of my success with the motor. He still owns those, both over 800 hours, and both running strong without a rebuild.

If you can tolerate the anemic power (by today's standards), it's hard to beat that engine. You'll only be reaching speeds in the upper 40's, realistically. Speedo will probably display mid 50's.

The 1100 motor adds about 30 pounds of weight for another 15-20 hp or so, so the power to weight ratio is improved by a bit. Someone else can chime in with extensive experience riding on the 1100's, but if I had to make an educated inference, I'd estimate you'd get an additional 4 - 6 mph out of the 1100. I rode a Waveraider 1100 in comparison to my 760 at one point, and I didn't think the extra power justified replacing my 760. The 760 felt quicker out of the hole and was a lot more nimble. The 1100 was definitely a hair faster top speed, but not sure by how much. My 760 speedo would read 57 - 58, and the speedo on the 1100 read 63 - 64. However, those aren't GPS speeds.

I'm sure the compression tester you have will work. 18" lead is more than enough to get where you need.

I would think that most 19ah batteries with a full charge would be enough juice to crank them both enough as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kmaher View Post
    I can't attest to the 1100 longevity, but I had a Waveraider 760 for 15 years with over 1,300 hours on it that never needed a rebuild. The day I sold it, it still had perfect compression.

A buddy of mine purchased two XL760s as a result of my success with the motor. He still owns those, both over 800 hours, and both running strong without a rebuild.

If you can tolerate the anemic power (by today's standards), it's hard to beat that engine. You'll only be reaching speeds in the upper 40's, realistically. Speedo will probably display mid 50's.

The 1100 motor adds about 30 pounds of weight for another 15-20 hp or so, so the power to weight ratio is improved by a bit. Someone else can chime in with extensive experience riding on the 1100's, but if I had to make an educated inference, I'd estimate you'd get an additional 4 - 6 mph out of the 1100. I rode a Waveraider 1100 in comparison to my 760 at one point, and I didn't think the extra power justified replacing my 760. The 760 felt quicker out of the hole and was a lot more nimble. The 1100 was definitely a hair faster top speed, but not sure by how much. My 760 speedo would read 57 - 58, and the speedo on the 1100 read 63 - 64. However, those aren't GPS speeds.

I'm sure the compression tester you have will work. 18" lead is more than enough to get where you need.

I would think that most 19ah batteries with a full charge would be enough juice to crank them both enough as well.
    Great, thanks!

Thread Information