Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

aeromotive 340 fuel pump failure

anyone had one of these pumps fail? I'm running them on two skis and both developed issues that lead me to believe that the fuel pumps are bad after replacing various other parts, I love the fuel volume they provide but may have to go walbro 255 as I don't trust these anymore, one pump has a little over 100 hrs and the other maybe 10 hours.

Ran both of these recreationally for at least 2 years a piece without any issue.With the Aeromotive I like to upgrade the ground at least but if you are seeing issues honestly either a stock or Walbro works fine for "most" boats given you are using the correct injector

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    I guess the question is what symptoms are you seeing that lead you believe it is the fuel pumps?

+1
    one of them will turn 8600 one pass then 8300 the next pass, and start to break up at wot, and afrs are in the 10's this seems to be dumping toooo much fuel.

the other one just starts to spit and sputter and afr goes to 22.4 while it's happening then it'll clear up, run great and afr go back to normal until a minute later, checked connection to the sending unit and it's on there good.

gonna just switch them out for a walbro and see.

5. +1 by:

+1
    I've yet to hear one of those fail you sure your not having a injector issue? Is this on e85??

+1
    305 coco, you might want to run a seperate ground wire (14 gauge) from the battery neg. post directly to the ground wire location at the electrical plug on top of the fuel tank. Glen at R&D told me they found that the oem ground wire was not capable of handeling the amp load on the higher volume pumps. Tommy Jordan

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dlamazing View Post
    I've yet to hear one of those fail you sure your not having a injector issue? Is this on e85??
    I already changed the injectors and nothing changed, running on 93 pump gas

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    305 coco, you might want to run a seperate ground wire (14 gauge) from the battery neg. post directly to the ground wire location at the electrical plug on top of the fuel tank. Glen at R&D told me they found that the oem ground wire was not capable of handeling the amp load on the higher volume pumps. Tommy Jordan

I was thinking about running a thicker ground wire or the relay like some people talk about but the ski has had this 340 pump in it for 2 years ( a little over 100 hours )
    so I figured the stock ground would have failed long ago or I needed the relay, so I got the walbro pump already, gonna put it in and see.

but, I talked to the guys at aeromotive and their willing to look at and repair the 340 pumps free of charge if needed..

+1
    here's a little history about the one dumping too much fuel.

my buddy bought this pump new from riva, put it in his ski and tuned the afrs to 12:0 3 rides later his ski blew the engine, he didn't know why it blew so he just parted it out and sold the hull.. I bought a few parts AND this pump and put it in my brothers ski, ever since then we have not been able to tune my brothers ski with this pump in it, switched all kinds of parts and it'll just turn 8600 one pass and 8300 the next and afrs change alot just idleLing around, so I'm guessing it's the pump and I'm monitoring the afrs, my Budd was not monitoring the afrs when his ski blew so IF it went lean at some point he never knew and kept going wot..

+1
    Coco - are you running a deadhead system or a return system? Aeromotive's website seems to suggest that the 340 is not compatible with returnless systems:

"Installation of a fuel pump like the 340 Stealth into today’s “returnless” systems, when you consider that it flows 2-3 times as much volume, draws 2-3 times as much current and is not necessarily the exact size and configuration of the pump it replaces, will very probably throw the OEM fuel system substantially out of balance, and if run for any length of time, may very well damage either the fuel system components or the 340 Stealth Pump itself."

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/tech-help/faqs/faq-340-stealth-fuel-pumps/
    Last edited by fullboogie; 12-18-2016 at 12:12 PM.

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information