Winterizing MSX 150 help.

I've read the manual section dealing with winterizing, but I'm still a little unsure. It mentions flushing the fresh water system to remove contaminants, but doesn't dwell on the possibility of fresh water becoming trapped, then freezing. Can it (should it) be blown out with air, or does inclining the ski cause it all to drain out. Am I worried about nothing? I'm in Ontario where the winters can get many degrees below freezing. Any advice on this?

Les

+1
    The fresh/raw water side of the cooling system is self draining when the nose of the ski is tipped upward. The closed-loop part of the system using anti-freeze is already safe from freezing issues. If you ride in freshwater... then the flush isn't all that needed... unless you have reason to worry about contaminates. Tip the ski nose-high on the trailer for a little while to allow it to drain. Open the rear hull drains too. After a while... you can then park the ski in a level position without any worry.

Most folks like to change the oil and filter and any other servicing prior to tucking the ski away for the winter. Then it's ready to ride in the spring. I don't do any fogging of the engine either. Although I do put fuel stabilizer in the gas during the last run of the season to help with that.

Cheers!

Thanks, Les

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    ... when the nose of the ski is tipped upward.

... Tip the ski nose-high on the trailer for a little while to allow it to drain. Open the rear hull drains too. After a while... you can then park the ski in a level position without any worry.

... I don't do any fogging of the engine either ...
    One thing you can do is put the lever into reverse, then run the engine with nose tipped high and blip the throttle firmly a few times. Reverse mode prevents the turbo engine from unwanted high revving.

This will clear most of the residual water from the water box and exhaust system. Keep blipping the throttle until the exhaust mostly discharges just water mist, but do not run the engine for too many seconds at a time (you do not want to overheat the engine).

No garden hose water cooling feed required. If needed shut it down and let it sit for a good while, then do it again to finish clearing the exhaust.

A mostly dry water box reduces the amount of residual moisture in the exhaust system while the machine sits in storage.

Thread Information