Need some help with repairing this MFD

Hi guys,

I've been browsing this forum for quite a while now. I purchased a 96 SLX with two burned pistons last summer. I fix that later, but thats not the hardest problem with my ski.

When I got this ski, the MFD was full of moisture. It was already opened up once, but not sealed properly.

There was a lot of corrosion on this thing, so I went on the internet and found a guy who said he could repair this damage. He replaced the upper diode, some broken traces and the Mode button.

When I got it back, the mfd only displays this:

When voltage is applied, the red led doesnt flash.
    When you push the mode button, the display becomes brighter, and half of the fuelmeter comes up.
    I did some measurments and the thing is the supply of the microprocessor is 9,5 volts (Source 12,5 volt). When the mode button is being pushed, the voltage jumps to 12,5 volts. The first diode blocks 3 volts. Is this right?

I know what you are thinking right now: just buy another one from ebay. Yeah thats just the point, because I'm from the Netherlands, and there is virtually nothing here for these machines. The guy who fixed the damage doesn't know whats going on and said I have to buy a new one.

Does anybody here knows what is wrong with this thing? I need some sort of scedule or routing of the board, so I can measure some more.

KG Sven
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0167[1].jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	403427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0186.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	403428  

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    The LCD not showing up could just be the connector between the LCD and the mainboard, that pink rubber area can be cleaned to get all the LCD segments working again.

But the lack of a wake up flash on the unit is troublesome. It may mean the switch or switch circuitry is bad.

I'd love to have a schematic also.

Without a schematic I don't know where to start. I will look again when I manage to get some free time. Something in the voltage regulating circuit of the main voltage supply is clearly faulty. Moisture is a bitch. It goes to places where the damage is hard to see (under the capacitors and connectors). I think there is an hidden broken trace somewhere, so I have to look better maybe.

In the meantime I've posted some ads on some sort of craigslist sites here in the Netherlands, hoping that someone has this display lying around.

Spring is coming up so first I'm going to focus on the engine, and when there is some left-over cash I will get another MFD.

Tips for the MFD are always welcome!

Thread Information