MSX 150 Turbo question

I'm getting close to dropping the engine back in, and I'm trying to be sure I don't forget to check anything.
    I have replaced the through hull bearing and seals, and even though I have no reason to suspect problems with the turbo, is there anything I should check on it? It's awfully hard to get at once the engine is back in.
    References online leave me with the impression it is not a self serviceable unit, but rather an expensive exchange item. Any advice??

Thanks, Les

+1
    Not much to inspect on the turbo. Ensure the turbo shaft spins freely and doesn't have any wobble in it. And check the exhaust wastegate flapper door swings freely (they can seize up). The turbo is the same compressor/cartridge as found on many older Audi/VW's... (K03?) The exhaust manifold of course is unique to the Weber. So the turbo can be rebuilt... or as is more common... you can remove the compressor and center cartridge and just bolt another one in it's place (done that myself). The whole turbo/manifold has to come out to do that... can't get to all the bolts while in the hull.

Ensure you get the 4 lines hooked up properly when installing (oil feed, oil return, coolant feed, coolant return).

Cheers!

OK Thanks. As I've said before, I'm a bit green on Jetskis, and I've read references to movement in the shaft in other threads.
    Just to clarify, my shaft can be moved about a bit, but I had put that down to some flexibility in the shaft, which I would guess is fairly thin. I can't find any actual movement in a bearing that might be in there, and there is no evidence of the vanes touching the sides, so does that sound about right?

Les

+1
    Sounds normal to me. Smooth shaft spin. VERY minimal off axis wobble... definitely can't impact compressor wheel on the housing. As they "loosen" up they eventually blow a seal and usually the compressor wheel will contact the housing (possible damage). Rebuild time when that happens.

I don't recall your build details... did you do block work? Replate or sleeve?

Cheers!

plating was fine, pistons and rings OK'd by M/C shop. Original problem was low compression and hoses blowing off. Leaking head gasket was probable, so I had head skimmed, (it was bad) valve job, and replaced worn cam and rockers.I'm sure it will all be easier second time around. Compression is now about 150 on both cylinders, cold, with oil in bores.

Les

Thread Information