Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Impeller boot, new solas concord or original OEM off old impeller

Hi, should I use the new supplied impeller boot from solas concord or remove from old and reuse? The older OEM one has a nicer looking seal were it comes into contact of the drive shaft. Thanks Jerry for the Impeller and supercharger rebuild..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5285.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	403256  

I mainly use the oe boot. But if I've aligned the engine myself I sometimes use the alloy one.

+1
    None! Most people run no cone cause it actually faster but I swear by the speed freaks cone

http://www.speedfreeksracing.com/products/4

Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    None! Most people run no cone cause it actually faster but I swear by the speed freaks cone

http://www.speedfreeksracing.com/products/4
    If so, what do you believe will keep the water from washing out all the grease applied to the drive shaft spline end?? And damaging the drive shaft...

+1
    And the water pressure at speed will push the drive shaft forward as it builds pressure inside the impeller cavity, increasing the chance of carbon seal leaks. Run the OEM boot , it can flex a little to take up any minor engine missalignment.
    The Solas one will unscrew itself even if there is a very little missalignment.

+1
    I would definitely ditch the cheap oem plastic cone. My sportster 150 ate it's plastic cone. Imo both thoughs cones are junk and you're better off leaving them off. But if your worried then speed freaks cone all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    I would definitely ditch the cheap oem plastic cone. My sportster 150 ate it's plastic cone. Imo both thoughs cones are junk and you're better off leaving them off. But if your worried then speed freaks cone all the way
    Does the speed freaks cone have a gasket or seal to avoid spline area grease from spilling out? Most likely going to go with the solas provided billet.

+1
    No its just a tight machined fit around the driveshaft.

+1
    I've had the green solas unscrew itself and the stock rubber/plastic one fold up over itself ...I now don't run anything.

The only negative that I've noticed is when you don't have it it's a bit harder to get the pump onto the shaft when putting it back on. I use a piece of wire to lift up the driveshaft and then pump slides onto the shaft no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    I've had the green solas unscrew itself and the stock rubber/plastic one fold up over itself ...I now don't run anything.

The only negative that I've noticed is when you don't have it it's a bit harder to get the pump onto the shaft when putting it back on. I use a piece of wire to lift up the driveshaft and then pump slides onto the shaft no problem.
    Looks like a Loctite has to be applied to the billet threads, it also screws in opposite direction of the impellers rotation which would make it want to tight up and not loosen when driven..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information