STX 15f film in water??

Everytime I run my jet ski up on my ramp (behind house) there is a film or slick that starts running out the back. Looks like a gas film that floats in the water?? Since its a 4stroke, I am stumped as to why this would come out back??

What/why?
    does anyone else have this??

Anyone? I would assume its from the water cooled exhaust? Maybe running rich or is this normal?

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Not normal. Check where your exhaust discharges for sooty oil stuff by running your finger around the area.
    Ski run good? No performance issues? There are a few things to check. Make sure your oil level is good and not milky at all.
    Then maybe check compression. A leaky or cracked exhaust valve can cause this, or a bum guide.
    Also check your pump. When was last time it was serviced? There is grease in the pump for the bearings. If water is getting in/out you can destroy the motor if the bearings go bad. Should be inspected every 50 hours. Easy to check/remove/service.

+1
    I suppose it could also be from the jet pump bearings, but I doubt it. A few people fill the Kawasaki tailcone with oil to keep water out. Have you done this? I'm not recommending that you do, just asking.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nailit View Post
    Everytime I run my jet ski up on my ramp (behind house) there is a film or slick that starts running out the back. Looks like a gas film that floats in the water??
    Does the film re-appear after the machine has been run at speed on the water and then brought back to the dock?

How long have you owned this machine?

Thanks for the input..
    I have about 60 hours on it for a 2011. I just bought it this summer and maybe put 10 hours on it and bought from dealership. Runs great, no issues, I will be changing oil soon, but it looks brand new. I can get her up to 62 by the speedo across my lil lake. I will check the pump and make sure its greased and will be going service it soon regardless. Will also check for soot, but dont recall seeing an build up.

It only has the film when I park it on the lil ramp I built and the rear of ski and exhaust are still in the water.

Thanks agin for suggestions, I will try to get in water tomorrow to inspect pump and exhaust! Till then! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by nailit View Post
    Thanks for the input..
    I have about 60 hours on it for a 2011. I just bought it this summer and maybe put 10 hours on it and bought from dealership. Runs great, no issues, I will be changing oil soon, but it looks brand new. I can get her up to 62 by the speedo across my lil lake. I will check the pump and make sure its greased and will be going service it soon regardless. Will also check for soot, but dont recall seeing an build up.

It only has the film when I park it on the lil ramp I built and the rear of ski and exhaust are still in the water.

Thanks agin for suggestions, I will try to get in water tomorrow to inspect pump and exhaust! Till then! Thanks again!!!
    Dock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5858.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	403261  

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    You dock makes me feel a bit better about your "In the water" storage.
    I mentioned pump because if water intrusion is beginning to happen the heat/water would liquefy some making a slick. There should never be oil used in a recreational ski pump. Some folks that race do a "Wet pump" mod as it is reported to give you about 200 more rpms but it is a dance, so to speak, with Kawi seals, amount of oil vs. expansion that is good. Waterproof grease, Maxima (blue) or Bel Rey (red) works good.
    Do you blow the exhaust out when on you ramp/dock? Also I would devise a way to safely tip up your seat while parked for a while to allow condensation/heat to escape.
    Is there any oil at all in the hull along with any water entering anywhere? Siphon style bilge may be discharging this.
    Also there are areas at the bottom of the exhaust that can corrode and water would be in area's of the exhaust that it shouldn't be, though your later model (2011/10?) 15F shouldn't have this issue as much as earlier models.
    When you keep a ski on he water like that you will have more corrosion. That's just going to happen.
    Have a good one.

Thread Information