+1

Polaris Virage Crank Position Sensor Shredded

I have a Virage i 800 with a flywheel magnet that was lose. I pulled the motor, opened up the flywheel, only one magnet lose. It was still in good shape. I glued it back in place. Then put everything back together. Went to start it and it wouldn't start. I herd a "thump" from inside flywheel housing. Figured magnet epoxy didn't hold.
    Opened up flywheel housing, pulled flywheel and all magnets were still in place. There was a fair amount of thin copper wire inside the flywheel. I thought the stator was tore up. Upon closer inspection, I found the stator was ok (much thicker solid copper wire) but the crank position sensor was shredded. Also the small metal bracket that holds the stator wires out of the way was bent. However the outgoing stator wires were not damaged.
    It looks like the outside of the flywheel itself went "too high" and took out the CPS and the wire bracket. This is odd because I did the repair on a work bench. Im 99% certain the flywheel was in its proper place etc. I know the flywheel nut was very tight etc. I didn't find anything that would have been "bouncing around" outside the flywheel housing that would cause this damage. I'm going to get a new CPS and put it back together. Anyone have an idea what caused this damage? Ever see this before?
    As always, thanks for the help.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Has the front crankshaft bearing gone bad/loose?

The flywheel housing itself is properly bolted into place, not cracked or out of position somehow?

+1
    The crankshaft itself feels "tight" no play when pulling, pushing on it. Here is a thought..both of the magnets on each side of the "epoxied" magnet (6 magnet flywheel) have a small piece missing. Small chunk came off of each when the "center" magnet came lose. It didn't seem that bad. I figured the stator would not notice the small amount of magnet damage....Maybe the flywheel is out of balance?? The flywheel itself is so thick and strong, its hard to imagine that it would elongate, or get oval when spinning, just because small amount of magnet missing.....Anyone ever use magnets that are not perfect??

+1
    I suspect one of those "magnet chunks" that broke loose was caught between the flywheel and the CPS as well as the support bracket.

Even if the flywheel were out of balance from missing portions of the magnets, that would not change the run out. Find a makeshift shaft the flywheel fits on fairly snugly, mount the shaft in a vice, and set up some type of pointer or dial indicator at the perimeter and check the run out.

Thread Information