Help, Sea Doo RX DI question or advice

Please any advice or help, I will take it. I have worked and played with 2 strokes all my life and have a real soft spot for them, but I'am at loss on this one. I bought a Sea Doo RX DI 2001 951cc last year with only 102 hours on it, it had a hole burned in the piston on the mag side. I just thought I would rebuild the top end , and found out it was on it's second engine (it had an SBT tag on it) that means it does not have the OEM plastic bearing retainer on the crank good thing , but has a welded crank bad thing. The engine looked in read good shape in side. I was just going to have SES bore out the cylinder to the next size over, but SES said they could but it would not last. They said that if I would let them rebuild the engine with a 2 year no fault warranty that it would last me the rest of my life (what a joke, another story). Any way to make a long story short , I bought the new SES 2 year no fault warranty and had them rebuild my engine. It is now installed in the ski and looks really nice, the whole ski looks brand new (But with only 102 hours what do you expect). I have ran it for 30 minutes on the garden hose and it starts and runs Great. I also have lake tested it for about 20 minutes it runs Great. The problem is this thing is on it third engine at only 102 hours there has to be something wrong. I have checked the fuel pressure with two different gages with the lanyard installed fuel pressure is 28psi (the manual showed it should be 27psi +or-2psi) with engine running fuel pressure is 108psi (the manual showed it should be 107 +or-2psi) . I checked the air psi and it is dead on 80 psi . when I installed the engine I bleed the oil pump like the manual showed and set it also to the richer oil setting like the manual showed. the stock spark plug are NGK ZFR4F-11 I installed one heat range colder NGK ZFR5F-11 the previous owner was using 91 octane gas and Seadoo synthetic oil. I cant find any think that would be causing it to be leaning out and burning up the engine. I feel that if I take it out and start running it that number three engine will be toast. And yes it has a 2 year no fault warranty (a joke), but it is a lot of work to take out and put in the engine plus shipping is expensive. I read another post where a guy struggle getting his DI engine rebuild and running that he said its' finally running right for 3 minutes time to put the for sale sign on it. I would like to head off any problems , but I cant find anything wrong. I wish it was the carb model I would just richen it up.. Any Ideas ,, may be I should sell it and pass on the 2 year no fault warranty,, I would like to trade the ski off for a polaris ski,,, any any help I could us it...

+1
    Might be a rumor, but I heard those have a port velocity/combustion chamber/intake swirl-caused nasty lean spot at a very specific rpm (6800?) and if held there exactly it will melt pistons.
    Maybe third time's a charm.
    Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I would like to raise the fuel pressure a couple of pounds. so when the fuel injector is pulse width modulation that it would get more of a shot of fuel , to rich fuel the fuel ratio. I also was wondering how the Sea Doo RX DI would run against the Yamaha gp1200R any body know?

Any body be interested in buying or trading for a 2001 Sea Doo RX DI looks like new 102 hour total. with a new engine from SES with a 2 year no fault warranty. Runs good with about 1 hour on new engine, every thing works except the speedo paddle wheel. If interested I can post pictures of it , it looks like new... have title and tags are current..

+1
    I see no mention of fuel filters being changed, especially the inline one. I have personally witnessed the fuel pressure drop after extended riding or wide open operation due to clogged filters.

I see no mention of fuel filters being changed, especially the inline one. I have personally witnessed the fuel pressure drop after extended riding or wide open operation due to clogged filters.
    Thanks very much ,,, I will replace it just in case....Thanks for the response..
    I would like to swap it for a Polaris sl1050,slx1200,pro785,pro1200 I have two Polaris sl700 that I like really well.
    This Sea Doo RX DI is a really nice ski looks like new, but after reading all the stories on the DI engines I am really scared of it not lasting..

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

Help, Sea Doo RX DI question or advice

scared you should be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1694.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	377.8 KB 
ID:	404371

Wicked DI's problems are not for the faint of heart or wallet.
    Last edited by nmpeter; 12-29-2016 at 11:40 PM.

Thread Information