Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Advise - How wet are these two hulls- Yamaha VX HO & Yamaha FX cruiser

2016 Yamaha VX HO & 2016 FX cruiser hull ? Stability / Staying dry are my concerns

I live on the North Carolina coast ( Sound / windy conditions )

I have no experience and purchasing a Yamaha 2016 ski this weekend . I've narrowed it down to the either the VX HO ( Price is a factor ) , however getting concerned about the ride after reading posts .

Need to better understand the hulls & determine if the VX should be purchased for sound like conditions . Don't care about jumping waves . Looking for a jet ski to cruise around on good days and would like to not get real wet on every ride .

Q. Can I take either of these ski's out and stay dry in good conditions ? I live on the sound and light winds are always present and a problem. I will most likely use the ski in good conditions and low winds most of the time , however I don't really want to get real wet on every time I take the ski out .

Q. Is the FX really a lot drier ride than the VX hull ? Explain
    Q. Can I stay dry on a VX hull or is it really a wet ski in all conditions ?
    Q. Should I expect to get wet in low wind conditions on either hull. If so I would prefer purchasing
    the VX HO due to the $$$ enjoy it.

In my opinion : If I'm going to get really wet on both hulls, the riding season is reduced by a month or two due to waters temps and does effect my decision.
    Last edited by dustywoodlief; 11-19-2016 at 07:51 AM.

+1
    Dusty,
    I personally think that the trim (to keep the bow up) is a must if your looking to stay as dry as possible. The only difference between the VX HO and VXR is the 2015 and up VXR has trim and no Cruise where as the VX HO has Cruise and no trim.

I have no problem with staying pretty dry if I want to unless the waves are 3+ feet. If it's windy your going to get some spray no matter which PWC you ride. With the Yamaha's you can also get a little mist from the rear pisser if your back is in the wind. Any of the 1.8 ho motors are awesome and VERY reliable. Also, easy on the wallet sipping gas with regular unleaded fuel.

I believe that with any PWC you purchase , your going to want a spend a few hundred on different wet suits with different thicknesses. With a wet suit I really don't even think about getting wet, being warm is the key. The NRS Farmer John is my favorite for all summer.

From what I've read on this forum , the newer VX hull is much better and closer to the FX hull than it use to be . Please understand that I can't personally compare the FX/VX hulls but am trying to help your decision due to your purchase this weekend.
    Last edited by K447; 11-19-2016 at 10:28 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence (RI) View Post
    Dusty,
    I personally think that the trim (to keep the bow up) is a must if your looking to stay as dry as possible. The only difference between the VX HO and VXR is the 2015 and up VXR has trim and no Cruise where as the VX HO has Cruise and no trim.

I have no problem with staying pretty dry if I want to unless the waves are 3+ feet. If it's windy your going to get some spray no matter which PWC you ride. With the Yamaha's you can also get a little mist from the rear pisser if your back is in the wind. Any of the 1.8 ho motors are awesome and VERY reliable. Also, easy on the wallet sipping gas with regular unleaded fuel.

I believe that with any PWC you purchase , your going to want a spend a few hundred on different wet suits with different thicknesses. With a wet suit I really don't even think about getting wet, being warm is the key. The NRS Farmer John is my favorite for all summer.

From what I've read on this forum , the newer VX hull is much better and closer to the FX hull than it use to be . Please understand that I can't personally compare the FX/VX hulls but am trying to help your decision due to your purchase this weekend.
    I went from a Yamaha SUV to a VX HO and to me the ride is much wetter .

I think the advice above is pretty accurate. If you really want to stay dry, you really won't no matter a VX or an FX. In general, bigger hull means more stability and dry.

i also think having trim would help.

+1
    I don't know how well they work but you could add a splash guard. If I really, really didn't want to get wet I'd stay on land or buy a boat.

Thanks for the advise ,

Thanks , ( Trim tip ) I ordered the 2017 white FX crusier Ho today .. Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence (RI) View Post
    Dusty,

+1
    Based on your needs, you made the best choice.

+1
    Did you get the cruiser model?

Yes, ordered a 2017 FX cruiser HO

Quote Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
    Did you get the cruiser model?

Yes, ordered a 2017 FX cruiser HO

You made the right decision ! my buddy rides a VXR and i ride an FXSHO, and the FX hull handles the rough conditions a lot better. It cuts through the chop easier than that of the VXR. i felt like i was getting banged around more on the VXR where as the fx still gets banged up but it didn't hurt. Much better ski to cruise on, vs the VXR or VX HO that is more of a playful ski. if you wanted to spin around and have fun the VX would have been better, but if you're looking for stability and comfort the FX is what you need to be on.

+1
    What year is your buddies VXR?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information