Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

flat mid-range....SURRRGE, 1200 pv

02 xlt 1200 pv. Fresh carbs, fresh service all around. Lake test= preformed well below 4600, as well above 5200. However, the performance between these two numbers not so good. Gradual throttle increase from 4600 on yields no rpm increase......UNTIL the magic angel is found and can access the high speeds I assume and jumps almost immediately to 5200. From there on to the top great performance, great burn, on plugs and color tune. The problem= Can't fudge my initial HS & LS settings enough to compensate for the gap without impacting other rpm ranges....school me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

New to the fourms. Plz advise if on wrong board.

+1
    Right in that range is when the power valves come open...sometimes they do feel like a surge in power as they come open. As long as they are coming open, and you are achieving full rpm's it you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Thanks for the reply BB. And I'll go back to the water and watch for the valves to open @ this rpm range. Main concern was a mid-range lean condition transferring from LS to HS. In this particular rpm the colortune goes wild flashing from dirty to slightly lean. Soon as rpms ramp color goes to that pretty blue we love to see and maintains at all other rpms. I assume the exh valves on the verge of opening in this "limbo" state could cause some erratic burn as well?

+1
    Take that colortune thing and chunk it as far as you can throw it....ain't worth a crap. You can't adjust the carbs on a 66v with that thing. Follow the well documented recipe...we 66v owners follow it because it works.

Midlothian Virginia USA ~ On the James River~
    +1
    colortune?

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean_29512 View Post
    Take that colortune thing and chunk it as far as you can throw it....ain't worth a crap. You can't adjust the carbs on a 66v with that thing. Follow the well documented recipe...we 66v owners follow it because it works.
    This is after following the sacred "recipe" as I do every time I build a set . I threw the colortune roughly 65 yards not counting the roll went and picked it up still works like a charm! Lol jk it has its pros and cons. It's just a huge surge to just be power valves opening. As I've built my far share and have felt pvs open this just seems more fuel to me but I've been wrong before.
    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean_29512 View Post

+1
    Some skis feel the pv open 'kick' more than others. If you have re-jetted and have appropriate air intake as well you should have nothing to worry about in the mid-range.
    Go on eBay and get a boroscope that you can hook to your phone ($10 and they work like a champ) and look at your piston wash if you really want to see what's going on and have peace of mind. On that ski, PV's typically open about 5k or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Fair enough. I will order that asap. Maybe I'm over thinking it. Just kinda aggravating cause that's right in the cruise range.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffg426690 View Post
    Some skis feel the pv open 'kick' more than others. If you have re-jetted and have appropriate air intake as well you should have nothing to worry about in the mid-range.
    Go on eBay and get a boroscope that you can hook to your phone ($10 and they work like a champ) and look at your piston wash if you really want to see what's going on and have peace of mind. On that ski, PV's typically open about 5k or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    $10 phone scope, never heard of that sweet!! Mine always felt like a 125 dirt bike at that range too, I aimed and hit a wake just as that throttle range hit and ended up crashing hard because it went straight to warp speed. But once I was ready for it I always loved that part the most it was a rush.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information