Thread: Pump housing

+1

Pump housing

First of all, anyone who was following my flywheel repair thread, sorry I haven't done any more on it. I will get back to it, this is just a busy time for me.

I have a pump problem with my Genesis i. It's been sitting for a bit and today I winterized it. The problem is the pump housing part that bolts to the back of the hull. Apparently, even though it doesn't look like it there is a layer of stainless and a layer of aluminum. It is corroding in between and binding the impeller. I had the same problem earlier in the summer and I just cleaned it up enough to get it working but eventually I will go all the way through the layer of stainless. If I get a replacement will I have to align it somehow or are the bolt holes in the hull a good enough locater?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    For the Genesis hull the wear ring housing is also the pump base/mount. So changing the wear ring means removing the pump base and installing a replacement.

There is a large o-ring and sealant between the pump base and the hull. While it is possible to do the swap without checking there is a risk that the newly installed pump base will change the jet pump alignment to the engine. It would be difficult to tell without using an alignment tool to check.

+1
    Maybe I'll build a jig that fastens to the hull somewhere that will align the replacement to exactly the same spot as the old one.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mockingee View Post
    Maybe I'll build a jig that fastens to the hull somewhere that will align the replacement to exactly the same spot as the old one.
    Alignment is not just about left-right and up-down location of the pump base on the hull transom, it is also about the angle where the pump base presses against the hull.

+1
    I would be very afraid of pump base removal. If they use the same sealant as they use on the ride plates, it may be very difficult to get it off (I gave up after bending a ride plate on my Virage part-out...)

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    I've got about 15 brand new OEM Polaris pump shoe O-rings if you want to replace it while in there. $5 plus shipping if you need one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    I would be very afraid of pump base removal. If they use the same sealant as they use on the ride plates, it may be very difficult to get it off (I gave up after bending a ride plate on my Virage part-out...)
    I know it sucks but what other option do I have? That's the part I need to replace.

Thread Information