Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2016 Yamaha VX Deluxe

Came across a decent deal on a used 2016 VX Deluxe. I sold my FX SHO and FZS a few years ago and looking to get into another waverunner. Any chance anyone has driven both? I loved the speed of my older super charged models, but I usually just cruised around in the 30-45 mph range. Will I be disappointed with a VX Deluxe? I see the top speed is around 54 mph, best cruise is at 45 mph @7.8 mpg. Sounds like it uses a lot less fuel than my old supercharged wave runners. I also have a boat now, so this will just be a second toy to complement the boat.

+1
    It will use a heck of a lot less, But it will take alot more throttle to stay in your cruise speed, I tried a 2011 VX on Monday after riding my SHO and i dont think i could do the move down. I'd look around for a used SHO and stick to that but thats just my opinion. If however you want a mix of both the NA 1800 skis are very economic on gas too and come with all the added benefits of the higher end models. Worth looking into that

3. +1 by:

+1
    I have a 2012 VX Deluxe with the 1100cc MR-1 engine and a 2013 VXR with the 1800cc NA engine. My wife and I ride together for the most part and for the barely 10% more fuel in the VXR, I wouldn't go back to a 1100 engine because the 1800 is so much nicer if you want to play and is good on a cruise. The 1800 is roughly 1000rpms less than the 1100 at same cruise speed. The new 1000cc engine is supposed to be a little better on fuel than the 1100 but the 1800 has the power when needed.

The new 2015+ VX hull is absolutely fantastic, not only dry but it has plenty of power. Im not a huge fan of the new 3cy engines, but that hull you have is great. Youll like the speed and drivability, and while it goes 0-50 pretty quickly, but its nothing like the power of a SC winding up. I love hauling ass, but the VX is no real slouch. That being said, you'll love the fact that you can literally run it all day and not need to add gas.

+1
    Like Erierunner, I have a 2013 VXR. What a beast of a normally aspirated ski. Bought it brand new in February of this year. I had it out yesterday and logged a new top speed of 67.5 on GPS. It is completely stock just as it came from Yamaha and only has 13.5 hrs on it. What I've read on these forums is that the engine will probably loosen up a little more until about 25 hrs.

I love the power and speed of this ski so much that I pretty much just want to get rid of all of my old 2-strokes in my signature! The VXR uses regular, 87 octane fuel, too. I highly recommend trying to find a VXR.

I know kwtony has a lot of experience with VXs so I would definitely believe what he says about them. How decent is the deal on the 2016 and where are you located?

+1
    "Dannyual777" You bought a 3 year old ski leftover this season? I didn't know that there were any leftovers around. Real nice ski but I hope you got an awesome deal on it because the new hull, RIDE and trim set the 15 and up VXR worlds apart from the earlier models.

Ive riden a share of NA Skis, and Supercharged Skis. And the fun factor is totally worth the horrible gas milage the SHO/SVHO will get. however if i could do it all again id consider the VXR. so touch mid 60's NA and not worry about superchargers is incredible.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence (RI) View Post
    "Dannyual777" You bought a 3 year old ski leftover this season? I didn't know that there were any leftovers around. Real nice ski but I hope you got an awesome deal on it because the new hull, RIDE and trim set the 15 and up VXR worlds apart from the earlier models.
    Yes, I got a great deal on a brand new, never been in the water ski with .2hr showing on the meter. Ski still had all the little stickers and pieces of tape on it from the Yami factory. The Dallas area dealer had a brand new red 2014 VXR as well. I had never owned a blue ski so I was partial to the 2013 and it was a little less money. $9013 plus tax and a $150 fee that pretty much all dealers in TX charge. I had my own double trailer. I've seen used, pre-2013 VXRs in the Houston area asking this much or more .

For it being 3 yrs old, it probably should have cost a bit less but I was willing to pay it. I really wanted a pre-2015 hull because I had read a lot that said that the older hulls were maybe as much as 3mph faster on the top end. I like to haul butt at WOT. Mine may not handle quite as well or ride as good in the chop as the newer VXRs but at the moment, I don't think that I'd trade this ski for any other VXR!
    Last edited by dannyual777; 11-11-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: fix a bad sentence

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IRideNYC View Post
    Ive riden a share of NA Skis, and Supercharged Skis. And the fun factor is totally worth the horrible gas milage the SHO/SVHO will get. however if i could do it all again id consider the VXR. so touch mid 60's NA and not worry about superchargers is incredible.
    When I was doing my research, this was my big point. It just seemed to me that the lower fuel consumption, not to mention only requiring regular gas and less maintenance while still easily exceeding 65mph was a huge draw for me. I'm not saying that I wouldn't own a supercharged ski but right now I'm really, really lovin' this VXR. I've highly recommended them to my next door neighbor who is currently in the market.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IRideNYC View Post
    I wouldn't say that the SVHO has terrible milage. I own both and on a decent ride with both SVHO and my VXR that my SVHO uses roughly 5 litres more then the VXR. I can cruise at 65 mph on my SVHO where the VXR is near flat out. I do agree that the 1.8 HO motor in the VX is a better option then the TR-1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information