Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rebuilding 951 DI - Need advice

Hello, everybody
    I'm rebuilding my RX DI my engine had around 280 hours and go down (Never rebuild and compresson was around 135 psi before of out). After of disembling it I found one rod bearing (union crankshaft with rod) was blocked. While I was removing pistons the needles bearings (union piston-rod) don't blocked but when I remove then both destruct (part by part).
    For other hand I have found the inside bearing of crankshaft (smaller) I feel isn't in good condition. The rest I think yes.

Now I'm very crazy because I don't know what to do. I know 280 hours maybe is too much for you guys but not from my point of view. I think that 280 hours or before could be moment to put new rings or new pistons (compression said that) but I think that bearings of crankshaft must be in good condition and must be very resistent. So I don't know if 951 engine could be bad design in that part and is better aftermarket parts?

Really I don't know what to do. I have differents ways to choose.
    A important thing is that I'm from Spain and market is different than USA and I'm more limited.

- Buy a WSM Crankshaft - about 500-550$ (for me)
    - Buy a WSM Rebuild kit - About 270$ + 170$ (for rectifier shop) = 440$
    - Buy a OEM crankshaft - about 600$
    - Buy a WSM/HotRods/TOP rod kits and buy bearings party by part - About 150$ rods + 170$ (for rectifier shop) + Bearings (I don't know how much) ( IF SOMEBODY CAN TELL ME REFERENCES OF BEARINGS CRANKSHAFT WOULD BE PERFECT, I ONLY KNOW - 6208NT9 C4)

What is the best option for you guys? Money is important for me but is more important in this case the best performance (reability not max power)
    OEM solution is usually the best option but after of that status that had my oem crankshaft I'm not sure if will be the best option or aftermarket solution will be better.

Sorry for my english and thank you in advance mates!
    Regards.

280 hours for a 951 crankshaft failure is not unusual. Buy a complete crankshaft with rods and bearings installed, unless you're building a race engine stock specs will be fine. The wrist pin needle bearings are not caged from the factory, and are VERY difficult to install, get caged wrist pin bearings.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by 4tec Hoarder View Post
    280 hours for a 951 crankshaft failure is not unusual. Buy a complete crankshaft with rods and bearings installed, unless you're building a race engine stock specs will be fine. The wrist pin needle bearings are not caged from the factory, and are VERY difficult to install, get caged wrist pin bearings.
    So is comun with that use?
    If I buy a no OEM crankshaft could I have more reability?? what brand? WSM/hot rods??

Get whatever is available in your area and in your budget. Reliability will be determined by how you ride and maintain the ski.

Sent from my 831C using GreenHulk PWC Performance Forums mobile app

6. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by 4tec Hoarder View Post
    Get whatever is available in your area and in your budget. Reliability will be determined by how you ride and maintain the ski.

Sent from my 831C using GreenHulk PWC Performance Forums mobile app
    But at same price which one you prefer? go to WSM or OEM??
    Thank you!

9. +1 by:

I will order Platinium Pistons + complete crankshaft WSM

Another question about rebuilding...
    I remove reed valves and I found metal rusted so I dissamble it and put the metal in a rust eliminator and I removed all rust but now they are in pure metal. I know that oem they are like gold I don't know if is a coat or is a paint but my question is about what do it? Is better put in "pure metal" (probably soon rusty again), paint or put some coat??

Thank you!!

Clear coat the reed cages

12. +1 by:

i went with pwc engines and im very impressed with there costumer service and prices the parts were very well packed too. I ordered a rebuilt crank shaft and had them rebuild my counter balance.

Today I received my new WSM Crankshaft,my new platinium wsm pistons and my air compresor. I received some days ago bosch water temperature sensor, bosch aire temperature sensor and ngk iridium sparks as well.

My cb was rebuild yesterday by me with SKF bearings and seals.
    I'm cleaning all parts, removing old gasket and polishing a little bit some parts of crankcase and cylinder.
    Hope start to esembling all parts soon.

Thank you for help me guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information