Question About to buy my first jet ski..(FX SHO)

Hello,
    So in the last month or so i have become really interested in getting a ski for this upcoming summer season, now ive currently been pointed in the direction of a 2011 Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO they seem pretty good from a few videos and reviews I've read about them. What are peoples views on these jet skis, do they run well or do many problems arise with these?
    The jet ski i am currently looking at is a 2011 Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO has 65 hours on it and comes with a trailer also for $12,500 AUD dollars. im hoping to bring the price down abit but is this price very expensive because im not to sure exactly how much these things sell off for would really appreciate any replies about this.
    Thanks,
    Chris

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by roadogg91 View Post
    Hello,
    So in the last month or so i have become really interested in getting a ski for this upcoming summer season, now ive currently been pointed in the direction of a 2011 Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO they seem pretty good from a few videos and reviews I've read about them. What are peoples views on these jet skis, do they run well or do many problems arise with these?
    The jet ski i am currently looking at is a 2011 Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO has 65 hours on it and comes with a trailer also for $12,500 AUD dollars. im hoping to bring the price down abit but is this price very expensive because im not to sure exactly how much these things sell off for would really appreciate any replies about this.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Good ski. A little old and missing things like Ride. That's a crap load of money...as that's the cost of a used 2014/2015 in the US. So I can't help you with the price.

+1
    Btw, it's fast and very stable. Great in rough water.

+1
    Hello,
    Thanks,
    Chris

Hi mate, nothing wrong with those ski's, if you keep it fairly stock and maintain it the thing should last for years. Have a good look over it for excessive corrosion and signs of abuse before handing over cash...if you have a friend familiar with them take him along to check it over.
    Definitely test ride it first and if the owner says no then walk away.

I picked up a 2014 FX SHO (new shape and hull) for $13kAUD as the ski was on consignment at a dealer so I'd advise you to have a good look around or try shave another 1500 off that price.

good luck!

+1
    My 2012 FZR recently cost me $12.5k but it's in exceptional condition compared to some of the dogs i looked at before it! mine has the same engine and it's plenty fast enough for a new rider ( i am brand new to these things as well BTW ) Only you will know if it's worth what he's asking but if you've compared it to others you will know how his price compares to others.

What you may not know or see is condition issues, i would highly recommend a pre purchase inspection, mine cost $200 and you won't need to miss much to spend that in repairs. Are you in SE QLD? If so, I got good pre purchase advice and my inspection from jetskishop at ashmore, opinions always vary with shops but i was looked after quite well.
    Good luck.

Thank you everyone for the advise really appreciate it, yeah I originally did think the price was abit steep!! Roughly what should i been looking for when purchasing anything specific i should keep my eye out for? I've tried searching the net cant really find anything about pre purchase inspections near me!

Sent from my iPhone using GreenHulk PWC Performance Forums

+1
    get under the trailer, have a good luck at the hull, particularly the keel, even the fussiest owner will have scratches but you need to check for big dings in the Nanoxcell and cracks in the keel or the pump tunnel.

Check the condition of the impeller and the liner, look at the ride plate and intake grate as well as the pump assembly etc. for corrosion, expect to find dollops of grease on the heim joints.

Check cable operation, make sure everything operates smoothly, quietly, check inside the hull looking for any sign of bodgy work or repair, if it's oily it's likely protected but look closely for corrosion on metal.

Not sure you will be able to, but the clutch is really the only issue with the engine, the sprag fails and from what i've read there is no predictor, it's an expensive item to replace, if possible get the intake hose off and see if the wheel turns in only one direction (it should) if it doesn't it's best to upgrade to a '13+ item and that's not cheap. That being said though unless you mod it heavily they're very reliable, and lots of fun.

Other than that overall condition of the ski, the molded plastic bumpers fade easily, you can upgrade them no worries but mine is 4 years old and they're fine so if it's spent it's life out in the yard you will know, there's not much else i can think of, i'm sure others with much more experience will chime in, but these are the basics.

+1
    Thank you everyone for the advise really appreciate it, yeah I originally did think the price was abit steep!! Roughly what should i been looking for when purchasing anything specific i should keep my eye out for? I've tried searching the net cant really find anything about pre purchase inspections near me!

Sent from my iPhone using GreenHulk PWC Performance Forums

BTW way where are you?

and have you looked at many others of the same model to gauge what they go for in various condition? when i was looking for mine i knew what i wanted (thanks to this forum) and looked at quite a few of various years up to 13 in various condition and the prices were wildly different, i was almost resigned to stumping up and buying a new one, do yourself a favour and look at a few.

Thread Information