Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Impossible choice.. Help!

Hello everybody!

First a small intro.. I'm SGpwc, 34 year old, I live in The Netherlands and have always been crazy for my waverunner.. Started of with a 1997 WaveVenture 760, which I used for 4 years without any trouble what so ever, fantastic ski. After this I bought my dream ski at that point (this was 2004) and traded it in for a 2001 XLT1200. Great machine at the time but it gave me a lot of trouble, engine has been rebuilt three times in total in a 4 year period. When it seized again in 2008 I was sick of it and traded in back in, this time for a brand new VX Cruiser. Less power, but it plenty for the use I had for it. This VX I also had for 4 years, never a single problem and it did everything I asked of it, took it on holidays and used it a lot, also with wakeboards and tubes. Fuel economy was superb, especially compared to the XLT .
    When I ride alone I just go touring, I am not a jumper or someone who needs twenty sharp turns in a 2 minute drive.. I 'cruise' along, make miles and enjoy the scenery. The VX was really my friend, best memories so far!
    I sold this VX due to circumstances, less time and let's say 'times change'..

Now is the time I can step back up on a waverunner, not a new one because my wife would kill me, and I can't decide..

I am looking at 2 types at the moment, of course there's a price difference but this is not really the point, and I hope somebody here give me a honest advice. In Holland there's not a great community so that's why I post it here.

Due to the great experience I had, of course I have my eye on a VX (model 2010-2014), 50 hours in great shape. I know what it's like, no surprises for me..
    The other one is a 2009 FX SHO with 100 hours clocked.. I love the looks and features of it and the idea that you have all the power in the world, but don't always need to use it. I wonder if this monster will meet the high expectations and if I would really use all of it, considering the VX was enough for me all these years.. And worried about fuel economy and supercharger.

Can you give me a great tip? I know the 2 ski's could'nt be more apart..

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

What kinds of water do you ride, and what distances?

Smooth water, rough water, passengers or just yourself?

How important is fuel economy?

Do you know about the 2015 VXS (and 2015 onwards VXR, but not the VX) have a redesigned hull, somewhere between the FX and the older VX hull is size and rough water handling. The VXR/VXS 2015+ also have the new 1.8 liter engine without supercharger. Generally very well regarded, both engine and hull.

+1
    Thanks for the quick first response!
    I do mostly single riding, every now and then with 1 passenger. I like 3 seater because of stability and the possibility for watersports/towing. Occasionally I use it in the weekend with friends and family for wakeboarding/tubing.
    In the area I live there's a lot of big canals (all the way from the North Sea to the city of Utrecht) which can be kind of choppy and also has a lot of really big ships on it. Those are the long stretches, 50-ish mile trips sometimes. Smaller trips are on smaller rivers, these are more curved so there's less waves. Fuel economy isn't the biggest issue but I want it to be better then the XLT, I want to be able to have a familyday at a lake with some skiing and tubing without refueling.

I know of the NA 1.8, but here there's a lot smaller market compared to the US, and those machines are almost nowhere to be found. I found only one VXR (all years, 2011-2015) in all of Holland and Belgium combined but the price was way to steep..

+1
    It is winter coming in Netherlands, perhaps there will be more offerings in the used PWC market in the springtime?

If you want to be crazy, you could import a container load of used PWC from USA, one or two of each model you like. Then ride each and choose the one you like best, sell the others locally

Might even make enough profit to pay for the one you keep!

There may be a Netherlands importer that is familiar with importing used PWC or boats, knows how the rules work, what the costs would be. Rotterdam is one of the world's largest shipping ports, must be ways to do such a thing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SGpwc View Post
    Hello everybody!

First a small intro.. I'm SGpwc, 34 year old, I live in The Netherlands and have always been crazy for my waverunner.. Started of with a 1997 WaveVenture 760, which I used for 4 years without any trouble what so ever, fantastic ski. After this I bought my dream ski at that point (this was 2004) and traded it in for a 2001 XLT1200. Great machine at the time but it gave me a lot of trouble, engine has been rebuilt three times in total in a 4 year period. When it seized again in 2008 I was sick of it and traded in back in, this time for a brand new VX Cruiser. Less power, but it plenty for the use I had for it. This VX I also had for 4 years, never a single problem and it did everything I asked of it, took it on holidays and used it a lot, also with wakeboards and tubes. Fuel economy was superb, especially compared to the XLT .
    When I ride alone I just go touring, I am not a jumper or someone who needs twenty sharp turns in a 2 minute drive.. I 'cruise' along, make miles and enjoy the scenery. The VX was really my friend, best memories so far!

Now is the time I can step back up on a waverunner, not a new one because my wife would kill me, and I can't decide..

I am looking at 2 types at the moment, of course there's a price difference but this is not really the point, and I hope somebody here give me a honest advice. In Holland there's not a great community so that's why I post it here.

Due to the great experience I had, of course I have my eye on a VX (model 2010-2014), 50 hours in great shape. I know what it's like, no surprises for me..
    The other one is a 2009 FX SHO with 100 hours clocked.. I love the looks and features of it and the idea that you have all the power in the world, but don't always need to use it. I wonder if this monster will meet the high expectations and if I would really use all of it, considering the VX was enough for me all these years.. And worried about fuel economy and supercharger.

Ha! Been to the Netherlands many times. I love visiting

The 2015 VX Hull with the 1.8 IMO is the best of all worlds IMO. Handles great. Reliable. Great power.

If you can't find a 1.8, my only concern with the FX SHO would be the reliability of the machine especially with the dealer network you might have available to you if that is limited.

The FX will be a lot faster and more stable than the VX you are used too, but more fuel usage, and more things to have maint issues with.

Frankly, if you could find a 2016 VX Cruiser HO you would probably be thrilled with it. The VXR is a great option too.

+1
    True, winter is coming. Prices are a bit better because of that I'm sure there's more offerings in the spring, but still not a lot of choice usually..
    I have thought of importing (not a whole container load) but the risk of not seeing the watercraft, and a lot of misery if it isn't like in the ad, put me of it. I like your idea, Rotterdam is indeed one of the biggest shipping ports, but also one of the most crowded area's to live in, so storing a load of these things is really expensive..
    I keep all ideas in mind.. Thanks a lot for your response!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
    Hello everybody!

Ha! Been to the Netherlands many times. I love visiting

The 2015 VX Hull with the 1.8 IMO is the best of all worlds IMO. Handles great. Reliable. Great power.

If you can't find a 1.8, my only concern with the FX SHO would be the reliability of the machine especially with the dealer network you might have available to you if that is limited.

The FX will be a lot faster and more stable than the VX you are used too, but more fuel usage, and more things to have maint issues with.

Frankly, if you could find a 2016 VX Cruiser HO you would probably be thrilled with it. The VXR is a great option too.

Where have you been in The Netherlands?! It is a nice little country, with al the ups and down that go with that
    One of the downs is the small dealer network, so you are right, my concerns are also the reliability on the long run for the FX SHO. Als the main reason I am not even considering buying a SeaDoo.. If that breaks, which it will, you in deep..

I agree a 2016 VX HO would be great, Prices are a bit high here (also because of the little numbers and high import taxes, 2016 VXR is still on the upside of 15.000 euros).

You don't happened to know someone who has a container with some spare room going to Holland so I can tuck in a 2011-2014 VXR?!

+1
    ... storing a load of these things is really expensive..
    Find a friend with a business or available open space, have the container delivered there.

Buy a bunch of trailers locally (bulk lot of new ones) and people may be lining up to buy these next summer. In my area PWC trailers in good condition are harder to find than watercraft!

There are some reputable people on GH that can source good quality used Yamaha watercraft. With some asking around you can probably connect with a dealer that knows how to crate and ship, including the proper export/import paperwork.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Find a friend with a business or available open space, have the container delivered there.

Buy a bunch of trailers locally (bulk lot of new ones) and people may be lining up to buy these next summer. In my area PWC trailers in good condition are harder to find than watercraft!

There are some reputable people on GH that can source good quality used Yamaha watercraft. With some asking around you can probably connect with a dealer that knows how to crate and ship, including the proper export/import paperwork.
    You may have a point with the trailer/pwc combo. It could work if the prices are right.. Can you tell me what site I should look to find used pwc in the USA/Canada effectively? After that is't going to be a lot of calling.. could be an idea.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

You may have a point with the trailer/pwc combo. It could work if the prices are right.. Can you tell me what site I should look to find used pwc in the USA/Canada effectively?

After that is't going to be a lot of calling.. could be an idea.
    I suggest asking for a Yamaha dealer referral. Less difficult for you than trying to buy from individual seller(s) at a distance.

US/Euro exchange rates you will need to work with, somehow.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information