Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 93
  1. #31
    Kev273's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South coast of uk
    Posts
    133
    +1
    12
    Any one know if yamaha will be upgrading the hull material as it seams few are breaking.
    I am still wating on yamaha to let me know the out come.

  2. #32
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,291
    +1
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev273 View Post
    Any one know if yamaha will be upgrading the hull material as it seams few are breaking.
    I am still wating on yamaha to let me know the out come.
    I doubt it. In the grand scheme of things, very very few have cracked hulls. And I'm willing to bet that the ones that have are a result of: racing, neglect, impact, or some other type of abnormal abuse.

  3. +1 by:


  4. #33
    Kev273's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South coast of uk
    Posts
    133
    +1
    12
    That's right depends on the use.
    I guess Yamaha look at the big picture, most riders use them on a lake go round in circle for bit then back home.
    The marketing is a ready to race machine, maybe it should be ready to flat water ride.
    It is a waverunner maybe rename to flat runner


  5. #34
    DP.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cayman Islands
    Posts
    430
    +1
    6
    I have had to repair a few of those hulls that was broke in the center from just rough water riding and racing, the only one I patched that lasted was the one that I put almost a new bottom on, out of fiberglass, in other words I layered fiberglass from one chime to the other and one third down the length of the ski, this way the impact force of big waves are distributed broader on the hull and less flex occurs. The builders of these hulls has reinforced other high stressed areas of these hulls ( remember the pump area issues) so why not reinforced this area too. I said this to many people at the world finals in 2009 and that was just one year after these hulls were heavily in production. Best of luck with your patching of the bottom but I have to do over another hull again in a couple of weeks and I'm going to wrap that whole front bottom with fiberglass!!

  6. #35
    speeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    vancouver, bc
    Posts
    330
    +1
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by DP. View Post
    I have had to repair a few of those hulls that was broke in the center from just rough water riding and racing, the only one I patched that lasted was the one that I put almost a new bottom on, out of fiberglass, in other words I layered fiberglass from one chime to the other and one third down the length of the ski, this way the impact force of big waves are distributed broader on the hull and less flex occurs. The builders of these hulls has reinforced other high stressed areas of these hulls ( remember the pump area issues) so why not reinforced this area too. I said this to many people at the world finals in 2009 and that was just one year after these hulls were heavily in production. Best of luck with your patching of the bottom but I have to do over another hull again in a couple of weeks and I'm going to wrap that whole front bottom with fiberglass!!
    How many layers of glass did you put on it?

  7. #36
    Kev273's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South coast of uk
    Posts
    133
    +1
    12
    I am thinking the same, looking to have a new fibreglass hull built.
    The nano is just to thin. it's shame as the rest of the ski is good.
    I don't what to ride about thinking wonder when the hulls going to break again.

  8. +1 by:


  9. #37
    Bernies10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Seychelles
    Posts
    517
    +1
    70
    I have a friend with a 2008 Fx cruiser. We ride hard ocean riding year round here. He has 440+ hours, beaches his ski and has never had a crack develop in his hull. I don't see a hull just cracking from usage. Unless you're smacking it flat on all your landings ect

  10. +1 by:


  11. #38

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    3,996
    +1
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernies10 View Post
    I have a friend with a 2008 Fx cruiser. We ride hard ocean riding year round here. He has 440+ hours, beaches his ski and has never had a crack develop in his hull. I don't see a hull just cracking from usage. Unless you're smacking it flat on all your landings ect
    The newer nano hulls are no where as good as the older hulls IMO.

  12. #39
    DP.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cayman Islands
    Posts
    430
    +1
    6
    True, I have never seen any of the FX sho hulls crack like that but I think It's due to the fact of the shape of that hull, it has a concave entry and the keel is thicker in the front, which displaces water much softer, also you cannot ride this hull as hard in the rough as a FZR/FZS simply because of the way it handles, on the other hand the FZ's have a more convex shape hull, so this hull displaces water much greater but also has more contact with the water especially upon re-entry coming off another wave, also that dense foam behind the nano only stays dense for a few hard rides and then it starts soften up and that is where the flex comes from, the more it flex on both sides the greater stress in the center. That's what I think causes it. Just give us the choice of two types of hulls Yamaha, Nano for circuit racing and SMC (sheet molded compound) for offshore and playing hard!! (this has been on my wish list for a long time ..lol) I don't think it should cost that much more! what you say guys??
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernies10 View Post
    I have a friend with a 2008 Fx cruiser. We ride hard ocean riding year round here. He has 440+ hours, beaches his ski and has never had a crack develop in his hull. I don't see a hull just cracking from usage. Unless you're smacking it flat on all your landings ect


  13. #40

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis MN
    Posts
    1,065
    +1
    170
    Prospective PWC buyers who want to use their craft in rough waters need to listen to the wisdom and experiences of people like "DP." and "winterstick". Hull failures on Waverunners made with NanoXcel are real and happen with everyday use in these waters. This does not necessarily indicate a design flaw but a limitation in the use of the machine. Will every Nano hull fail with rough water use? Absolutely not-there are too many variables involved to make an accurate prediction. The fact remains that, compared to a Sea-Doo or Kawasaki hull, there is a far greater chance of a hull fracture with a NanoXcel one.

    As I alluded-this post is for people new to the sport who are researching what is out there. I don't want the Yamaha fan boys to come in here and flame me.


Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2016 fx svho stalling
    By netrave in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 03-12-2018, 05:45 PM
  2. 2016 ultra 310r hull cracking
    By Timmymajic in forum Kawasaki How To & FAQs
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-10-2016, 03:48 PM
  3. 2016 FX SVHO On the limiter
    By fussy1 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2016, 05:47 AM
  4. Increasing Ventilation/Intake Air Into FX SVHO Hull
    By LugNutLS1 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 07-02-2016, 10:07 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2016, 09:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •