Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2007 rotax 215 hp 4 tec with missing supercharger ceramic washer

Hi, Someone I know purchased a 2007 seadoo 215 hp ride in which the compression was perfect, but didn't check the supercharger.
    The previous owner used it for only 6 hours before deciding to sell it (It has 58 hours). The previous owner not knowing about the supercharger issues that can occur said that it ran well for the 6 hours, topping off at "40 mph??"
    The new owner did the compression test at the purchase time and started the engine for a few seconds which everything appeared fine.
    A week later he read about the superchargers on these seadoos and decided to remove the hose to check the supercharger in which the blower spins freely, no tension...
    He removed the supercharger and 1 of the 2 ceramic washers was missing.. Bearings and roller bearings are all present and counted for..
    He called the seadoo dealer and was told there is a screen by the oil pump to prevent these pieces from damaging the oil pump. They told him to change the oil filter and to do a couple oil changes, they said it should be fine if the engine still runs...

Is this possible that there can be no damage caused from a failed ceramic washer?? And that replacing the oil filter with a few oil changes can prevent future damages?

Thanks

I suggest you or your friend read up on the topic here on this forum, there are literally hundreds of threads on this topic, very common issue.

Bottom line is no, you cannot just clean it out and go. Engine needs pulled, torn down, thoroughly cleaned out, and at a minimum the oil pumps and timing chain need to be replaced. It will be expensive, just in time, parts and gaskets, but a lot cheaper than the alternative, which is a totally new engine.

As it sits, it is a ticking time bomb. I have bought the remains of skis that the ceramic washer failed, didn't get torn down and cleaned out, and then run. One word, "boom".

+1
    Some of these dealers amaze me!

His front oil pump is going to be trashed and needs replacing. The rear oil pump is also likely trashed and will need to be inspected, replaced if necessary.

The supercharger will also need a full rebuild.

Wow! truly a surprise.. Is the front oil pump located on the supercharger side? I'll tell him the news and suggest Jerry for the supercharger rebuild..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathylongasta View Post
    Wow! truly a surprise.. Is the front oil pump located on the supercharger side? I'll tell him the news and suggest Jerry for the supercharger rebuild..
    It's on the front of the engine. Have a look at the exploded diagram for the front oil pump for his ski here in the forums OEM store. He will want to replace items 1, 3, 4, and 5
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....-OIL-PUMP-ASSY.

The rear oil pump, if bad, he will want to replace items 17, 16, 18 and a new gasket item 40
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....-W/-PTO-COVER

Hope that helps!
    Jerry

Thank you, I'll pass along this info!

So he got the oil filter out and it has quite a bit of tiny sparkly iron looking material...! Oil pump debris??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathylongasta View Post
    So he got the oil filter out and it has quite a bit of tiny sparkly iron looking material...! Oil pump debris??
    Its possible

The bits of broken ceramic washers looks like this, and you will get bits of the oil pump too. The problem is that once the washers drop into the PTO cavity, the flywheel and timing chain effectively grind up the ceramic washers into tiny bits, and those bits are super sharp and destroy any metal in their way. This is why it is important to replace the timing chain as a preventative measure. And why you need to totally disassemble the entire engine to clean out those tiny bits of broken ceramic floating in the oil. Plus, the engine always retains between a quart and two quarts of oil, you cannot totally get all the oil out, the only way to get it out is to totally disassemble and flush it out.

10. +1 by:

Pictures of the debris within the oil filter.. Gross. I'll keep you posted to what happens next..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5234.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	401893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5233.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	401892  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information