Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

How much of a leak is okay?

Hello, I've searched and read quite a bit about the carbon ring and bellows assembly and have a question. After about a 2 hour ride I'm finding a small amount of water in the hull, (under 1 cup) that appears to be coming from the carbon ring/bellows area. My question is how much of a leak is "normal"? I don't see anything damaged under a visual inspection. I bought the ski used so I have to assume that the parts are original.

2008 gti 155 - 110 hours

+1
    I seem to always have a little that comes out when I open my drains. I wouldn't think that's enough to worry about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    I'd go for a short ride with the seat off to see how much is coming in on a continuous basis. The siphon drains are pretty efficient so what you're seeing is what they couldn't evacuate.

+1
    I have NO leak on my machine. Barely get 1/4 cup water. One cup is not enough to worry but I would monitor it regularly.

+1
    Thanks for the responses. I tightened down the two hose clamps on the bellows a bit and will keep an eye on it. Hole shot and top speed are still good so I dont think I have a major issue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DTLV View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I tightened down the two hose clamps on the bellows a bit and will keep an eye on it. Hole shot and top speed are still good so I dont think I have a major issue.
    That probably isn't it. Think of your bellow band as a spring. it may have just lost its springiness. There is a spec for it in the service manual but you might just take this opportunity to replace the bellow/carbon seal/stainless hat/c-clip and check the alignment. There are also a couple of orings in the stainless hat as well that should get replaced and probably the bump stop at the end of the shaft and the two orings in the pto seal. Also not a bad time to check your pump and regrease. If there is water in the pump ...time for rebuild. I've found out the hard way on a few occasions that stuff doesn't last forever, rubber gets old/hard over time. If your going to be in there best to bite the bullet and do it right and have confidence for many years to come.

+1
    Yeah DinoMite, you are probably correct, what I'm struggling with now to invest in the proper tools and perform all my own maintenance and repairs, or just shell out the cash to have it done. I think If I start working on my ski, I'll become obsessed that everything is working the best it can, and any new noise or drop in performance will have me looking for the cause.

I've been down this road before with (car) forced induction builds complete with water/meth injection so I know what happens if you open that Pandora's box! luckily I have a NA ski so i'm extremely limited to mod opportunities.

+1
    Tell me you do have a bilge pump installed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Guidoo View Post
    Tell me you do have a bilge pump installed.
    While I am a fan of bilge pumps and have had to use them on a few occasions (cough...blown out water box on turbo ski). If there is a catastrophic failure of the carbon seal or pump, it won't pump enough water fast save you. It might buy you a little time to get to shore if you notice the issue quickly. Once on shore you can at least pump the water out and figure out what is going on and maybe temporarily fix it.

If you take your normal 500GPH pump, your only talking about 8 gallons a minute best case. You blow out a carbon seal and there is no way your little pump is keeping up with the incoming water. Still a nice to have, but best to have faith in your driveline.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DTLV View Post
    Yeah DinoMite, you are probably correct, what I'm struggling with now to invest in the proper tools and perform all my own maintenance and repairs, or just shell out the cash to have it done. I think If I start working on my ski, I'll become obsessed that everything is working the best it can, and any new noise or drop in performance will have me looking for the cause.

I've been down this road before with (car) forced induction builds complete with water/meth injection so I know what happens if you open that Pandora's box! luckily I have a NA ski so i'm extremely limited to mod opportunities.
    I hear you brother! Been down those roads many times. The few tools you need aren't bad. If your carbon seal looks worn evenly your motor alignment should be fine. Really all you need is the carbon hat puller tool...but some people make there own with a 2x4. It isn't to expensive in the aftermarket. SBT has most of this stuff reasonable if it's not on the greenhulk store. Shop manual is helpful. Torque all pump bolts to spec. It's not hard to do.

Some people put the thick tie wraps or O-rings in the valleys of the boot to create a little more tension. Best to fix the real issue though IMO. Most ski's leak a little water through that seal though, not a huge deal. Just make sure your carbon seal looks ok. You can look down on it and see if it looks like it's got even wear...or throw a pic up here and we will check it out. There is a spec for it, but you would need to pull it out to measure it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information