+1

2001 ZXi1100: Re-sleeve or find used and bore/hone?

Cylinders previously bored to 81mm with WiseCos by pre owner. Now have score marks on 2 cylinders, and can't bore further. My understanding is that these must be machined out before new sleeves can be put in. Is it better to re-sleeve, or find stock bore cylinders on FleaBay and have bored/honed with new pistons/rings? I think most shops are charging $100/hole to re-sleeve, and that doesn't include the cost of the sleeve. So right there I am looking at $600, PLUS pistons/rings. Would SBT cylinder exchange/kit be my best route? How viable/reliable is that?

TIA

+1
    If your current sleeves have no cracks, cylinder has good studs, threads etc, just have it bored to 1.5mm over. Wsm and sbt make Pistons that size

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbchopper View Post
    If your current sleeves have no cracks, cylinder has good studs, threads etc, just have it bored to 1.5mm over. Wsm and sbt make Pistons that size
    Yeah, cylinders are solid, as well as studs, etc. Just some light score marks up and down on 2 cylinders. I was going to say screw it and just get new rings with a quick hone and throw it all back together, but the OCD side of me knows that wouldn't be the best. But would be awesome to retain this head, as I did the exhaust mod to it, along with a bunch of other stuff, opening up the exhaust manifold 2mm and polished, etc. Would be great to not have to do that all over again.

I appreciate the feedback!

+1
    Pro-X, Wossner, Wiseco all have an 81.5mm piston. Wiseco & Wossner have 82mm and Wiseco has 83, and 84mm. Here is some old info from Group K's site.
    The stock Kawasaki 1100 cylinder castings can accommodate over boring up to 83mm (1151cc) without resleeving. Increasing the stock 80mm (1071cc) bores to 81mm (1097cc), makes for a very big increase in overall power that is well worth the cost. Further increasing the bore diameters to 82mm (1125cc) makes for an increase that is only slightly better than the 81mm. Overboring to 83mm (1151cc) makes for no increase at all over the 82mm. We suspect that the transfer ports in the 1100 cylinder have difficulty properly scavenging the cylinders as displacement is significantly increased. Since the 1100 cylinder casting does not have enough base material to accommodate any significant increases in transfer port area, additional portwork is not an optional solution for this problem.

All in all, we found the power of the 81mm and 82 mm bores to be very comparable, and both very good. We would tend to recommend the 81mm bores so that there is room for a future overbore. For the 81mm bore diameter, either OEM Kawasaki pistons or Wisecos can be used with equal results. At 82 and 83 mm the Wisecos are the only available option, and we have found them to offer excellent long term wear.

Go to WSM's site and take a look at your options. You still have some room to bore.
    https://www.wsmparts.com/results.aspx?id=a_ID_7_4_14_0_2085_-2

+1
    Thanks alot David.... really appreciate the information.... had the cylinders inspected and the slight vertical striations were not a concern, but the taper was out of whack on the front two cylinders... so having them bored to 81.5 and grabbing some Wossner pistons (that I have been very happy with in my XP951) to install....

Thread Information