Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2013 seadoo rxp-x 260 hp any good?

Hi, looking at a 2013 rxp-x with 20 hours and warranty till 2018 for sale. Seller is asking $9000. Are the 2013 rxp-x 260 hp a good year for pwc? Is the speed limited on them? If so can it be removed? Anyone with experience owning one out there?? Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathylongasta View Post
    Hi, looking at a 2013 rxp-x with 20 hours and warranty till 2018 for sale. Seller is asking $9000. Are the 2013 rxp-x 260 hp a good year for pwc? Is the speed limited on them? If so can it be removed? Anyone with experience owning one out there?? Thanks
    Great ski! Many of us have/had them from stock to wild.

The biggest known issues on them is the intercoolers can leak. Especially if you have an early 2013 with the old style intercooler. Still, even the so called "updated" intercooler can leak so I generally suggest replacing it with a Fizzle IC.

$9K is top price but with that low of hours and if it was stored indoors, freshwater ridden...Offer him $8250 and max to $8500 as bottom line.

Like the rest of these type skis, its speed limited.

What I would do (as long as its mint):

FYI: I've setup these very skis in many combination and they always respond well if starting on a good foundation. Trying many thing give you good and bad results, in the end its all about learning and filtering out what doesn't work.

BTW: Where do you ride? (air/water temp and elevation)

ps. At some point you will discover a product known as SCOM. Don't...just don't....

+1
    Terrible ski, it infects you with the mod bug and there's nothing you can do about it but cave in!

The vtech allows for the limiter to be removed? What's the scom for?

+1
    The vtech allows for the limiter to be removed? What's the scom for?
    Yes, the VTECH not only removes limiter, it remaps the ECU to greatly improve the ski everywhere. With the parts list I mentioned above, expect to gain at least 6mph and much better acceleration! No comparison!

The SCOM is for ignoring. Start doing that now.

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    Where are you located? was the ski fresh water or salt water ridden? Does that include a trailer? Does it include a cover? Any extras?

I sold my 2012 RXPX in the spring this year so the relative age is similar. For what it's worth I got more than 9k USD for mine but it included a trailer and a lot of extras.

Quote Originally Posted by RGUN View Post
    Where are you located? was the ski fresh water or salt water ridden? Does that include a trailer? Does it include a cover? Any extras?

I sold my 2012 RXPX in the spring this year so the relative age is similar. For what it's worth I got more than 9k USD for mine but it included a trailer and a lot of extras.
    Fresh water ridden, it has a single triton trailer with spare tire, speed ties, X package with sport mode and upgraded gauges..

Would upgrading the unit cause it to fail prematurely? You won't get the same usable life out an upgraded unit?

+1
    Fresh water ridden, it has a single triton trailer with spare tire, speed ties, X package with sport mode and upgraded gauges..

Would upgrading the unit cause it to fail prematurely? You won't get the same usable life out an upgraded unit?
    The Triton trailer is the best trailer to have and have a great resale value. If the Triton is included in the price, that makes this deal much nicer.

With proper maintenance and you don't ride always bouncing off the rev-limiter, a slightly modified ski will be about as reliable as stock 260. If you are VERY concerned about reliability, a supercharged ski might not be for you (stock or modded). Sticking to a naturally aspirated (NA) ski will definitely last longer at the price of reduced fun (speed). Increasing horsepower always comes with some trade-off...but for a large majority of people on this forum, we can't leave a PWC stock.

The elephant in the room? You seem very green and I can't avoid talking about the fact that this ski's supercharger (SC) must be rebuilt periodically. SeaDoo (BRP) says every 200hrs as part of maintenance. Most of us will say its closer to 100hrs. We generally caution to 100hrs because if one fails prematurely, it can lead to a very expensive engine repair. If left stock or slightly modified, I have no problem suggesting 120-140hrs. Rebuilding the SC is part of general maintenance and NOT included in the warranty (it will cost about $430 parts/labor). The 2016-up RXP-X supposedly now uses a "maintenance-free" SC....too early to say if that proves to be true.

You (we) seem to be spending a lot of time talking about "reliability" and if that is a big deal to you, leave it stock and be happy with a 67-68mph ski. You can always do mild modification after you grow a pair

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RGUN View Post

The RXPX comes with X package, and X gauges as standard so those aren't extras for negotiating purposes. The only extras as I can tell are the Speed Ties, and Triton Trailer. When I sold mine (with ~100 hours) I got very close to the equivalent of $10000USD. Mine also had cruise control (~$250 new) and depth sounder (~$400 new) cover (~$250 new), Snap on fenders (~$150 new). Considering the difference I'd say 8500 - 9000 is a fair price for the package as you've described. Having said that, the prices are typically higher in Ontario where I am, so my valuation may not be relevant for your area.

Make sure to inspect the impeller and wear ring. Replacement of those would be a (relatively) large expense assuming you would have a dealer do it. If they need any work I'd look for the cost to be removed from the selling price.

If you're paying a premium for a unit that is under warranty I would leave it stock until that expires. This will insulate you from unanticipated large repair expenses too if you have a supercharger failure or any other failure that could be denied should you modify it.

Thanks for the information, greatly appreciated.

Don't want to throw a wrench in all this info.. But there is also a 2014 RXT-X 260 for sale with a galvanize trailer with 2 hours on it but asking $11K for it... Is there really a noticeably difference in rough waters between the RXP-X and RXT-X? Will I regret buying the RXP-X if the waters get choppy or rough after a few hours out in the waters?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information