Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Need help diagnosing a pair of 2009 GTX skis

Hello! So this is my first post, and I'm obviously new here and new to the PWC world. But I've been browsing the forum for a few weeks trying to familiarize myself to the 4tech platform and not sound like an idiot asking redundant questions. I recently picked up a pair of 2009 Seadoo GTX 215 skis for $2000. One is a running ski, while the other isn't. The running ski appears to have had the motor swapped at some point with an older 4tech, possibly from a 2004-2006, and the ski has 154 hours on it. The other ski doesn't run, and also doesn't appear to have had any major work done at any point. The engine is still factory sealed and the ski has 134 hours on it. The previous owner has 0 info on the history of these skis, but it was a legit transaction with all the paperwork.

My first question is about the running ski. From what I can gather on this forum it appears to have an older engine from a 2004-2006 or 07 with the yellow/silver valve cover and red supercharger.

Is there any way to visually tell if this is the 185hp rotax from the older GTX or the 215hp from the RXT? It obviously has the intercooler, but that could have been swapped from the original engine. I've read that the supercharger is the same, but is underdriven by the crank gear. Any way to swap that gear out so it runs the blower at 215 speed? Also, the 185's didn't have forged pistons and have crappy hollow exhaust valves (which were more than likely updated with the rebuild). Obviously I'd love for this to be a 215 engine, but I'd like to confirm without tearing it apart if I can. I'm going to pull the valve cover and check the part number on the exhaust valves to see if they were upgraded during the rebuild. And the supercharger seems tight and doesn't spin by hand. I haven't rode the ski, but it has been ridden since the rebuild and fires up just fine with no engine codes.

My next question is about the non-running ski. I've only had one afternoon to play around with these, but here's what I've learned so far.

I pulled the intake tube off to check the supercharger and it spins freely by hand. I checked the oil. A little dirty, but not bad. Coolant looks good. Pulled the plugs to check for damage (trying to rule out possible broken valves or piston damage), and they looked almost brand new. So I installed a brand new battery and turned it on. No codes. I tried to crank the engine and nothing happens. The starter makes a loud click. I'm assuming the motor is seized and the starter will not turn it over. But I'd like to know if there's a way to turn the engine over by hand? Do these starters have known issues? Could something possibly be stuck in the impeller pump? Obviously the supercharger is done, but does that GUARANTEE that the motor is trashed? If the motor is seized, how bad is the engine damage usually? Any chance it's rebuildable? If so, about how much is a typical rebuild if I pull the engine and take it somewhere?

I know this is a lot to drop on you guys at once, but I'm new to this sport and after reading up on this forum, I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge and extent of modifications here. Thanks!

+1
    Yellow valve cover is probably a 185hp engine easiest way to tell is pull the supercharger and count the teeth on the drive gear, 17 tooth is 185hp 16 tooth is 215hp.

On the non running ski again pull the supercharger and post a pic of the drive gear end depending on what's there or not there would determine the next step.

+1
    The motor on the non running one will have to come out. Once you remove the PTO cover it should give you an idea how bad things are.

A quick check would be to take the valve cover off and see if the timing chain is still there. A failed SC could csuse the timing chain to break if the previous owner kept running it.

Good thing winter is coming, you have couple projects on your hands.

+1
    u can put a 17mm socket on the sc and turn the motor over.

+1
    these skis have very crappy starter solenoids so I would jump the solenoid first to attempt to crank over before condemning the engine

2004 215 had that same color combo too....

+1
    Thanks guys! Looks like I'll pull the S/C on the running ski and count teeth. While I'm in there I'll pull the valve cover to check out the exhaust valve part numbers as well. From what little I've looked around, pulling the motor on the dead ski doesn't look too bad, but I'm certainly going to exhaust all other options first. Nothing like a little online brainstorming before heading in there!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverLT1vert View Post
    Thanks guys! Looks like I'll pull the S/C on the running ski and count teeth. While I'm in there I'll pull the valve cover to check out the exhaust valve part numbers as well. From what little I've looked around, pulling the motor on the dead ski doesn't look too bad, but I'm certainly going to exhaust all other options first. Nothing like a little online brainstorming before heading in there!
    For sure you'll have to pull it if the charger has failed At the very least you'll have to clean up the two oil pumps, they may need to be replaced depending on how long it was ran after the charger failed.

Hopefully nothing else was taken out when it failed.

+1
    For sure you'll have to pull it if the charger has failed At the very least you'll have to clean up the two oil pumps, they may need to be replaced depending on how long it was ran after the charger failed.

Hopefully nothing else was taken out when it failed.
    Agreed. But super charger failure wouldn't typically seize the engine would it? I can see how the bearings could easily by trashed, but it would still turn over. Even a broken timing chain on most cars would just trash the valves, but the engine would still spin freely. Obviously I have several hours of investigating ahead of me and I'll report my findings. I really wish I had more info on the history of these skis, but playing detective gives me the opportunity to learn a whole lot more about these. If the supercharger went out and trashed the bearings, the ski would obviously not be running right. Would it be possible the previous owner just parked the ski for a few years and never fogged the cylinders or cranked it, causing the pistons to seize in the bores? If so, how much damage could I cause trying to force the engine to rotate? Is it common to pull the oil filter to check for bearing material? Again, thanks for all your help!

+1
    they have intercoolers, so appears to be 215HP.
    Pull that shroud off the engine, and post a picture of the ECU's lets see which they are that should tell us a lot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information