Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Importing to Canada

I'm interested in buying an SLX 1200 with trailer in The states and bring it back to Ontario. Anyone here know procedures in detail for importing it?
    he has the title for the trailer but claims the ski is on a private lake and it was never registered. Will that not allow me to import it?

Thanks

+1
    You Need the title and bill of sale for the ski. As well as the trailer cannot be home built.

+1
    I don't know about importing one but here's what I do know. The ski gets licenced through Transport Canada not Registry of Motor Vehicles. I licensed mine last year with no title. All I needed was the bill of sale and a few pics.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...cence-1898.htm

They didn't even hit me for the tax at the time. They did however report the transaction to another govt. dept. which hit me for the tax a year later.

i guess a more immediate concern would be driving back across the border with it. I can't help you there but I'm sure if you call Transport Canada they can.

As far as the trailer goes, I don't see that being a problem since he has the title. I would think that and a bill of sale would get you home. You could check on that with RMV.

I suppose things could be different in other parts of the country, I'm in Nova Scotia.

+1
    you wont be able to cross the border without the title, trust me. when you get the bill of sale don't use a lower price because they might call the seller. make sure the title for the trailer matches the manufacture sticker (you need this or it will be a pain in the ass crossing). Even check the vin on the ski to the title because sometimes they are a bit different. (someone registered mine as an I instead of a J). if it comes with the trailer you will pay an additional 200$ at the border for it and then you need to get it inspected at a Canadian tire. buying in Canada is totally you don't need a title or even a bill of sale to register the ski. you can have a notarized paper stating you bought it legally from so and so with a couple new pictures of the ski.

i have found it easier to simply bring my trailer to buy a ski in the usa. make sure all paperwork is there, and your all clear.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Inssomniak View Post
    I'm interested in buying an SLX 1200 with trailer in The states and bring it back to Ontario. Anyone here know procedures in detail for importing it?
    he has the title for the trailer but claims the ski is on a private lake and it was never registered. Will that not allow me to import it?

Thanks
    I have in posted several threads with lots of good info on bringing a USA watercraft and optionally a USA trailer into Canada. Look for those prior threads, lots of good info.

The most important thing is to have your paperwork 100% complete and accurate. No loosey goose stuff, straight up the middle and complete.

Different US states have different documentation and different processes, they are not all the same. You need to make sure you understand how it works for the state you are importing from. If the PWC has been previously owned/registered in some other state (for example, you are buying from a NY seller but the PWC hull has Ohio hull numbers), that adds to the paperwork.

I strongly suggest the bill of sale is notarized by the seller and buyer at the time of sale, you pay for the notary (maybe $50US cost).

The bill of sale should include seller and buyer full info, address, phone numbers, everything. Make, model, year, HIN number, colors of the hull and upper deck, even the bow numbers. Condition (running, missing motor, etc), date of sale, full price paid, etc.

Signed by both parties. And notarized.

Trailer is a completely separate thing, separate bill of sale with separate price. Do not combine trailer and PWC prices into a total. VIN sticker on trailer must be readable. And must match the paperwork.

Trailer import, in addition to taxes, will have a $209 CAD (IIRC) inspection fee, payable at the border. You then take it to Canadian Tire and they complete the inspection and submit the provided forms, after which you can get a license plate and official provincial 'ownership' slip.
    Last edited by K447; 10-24-2016 at 07:54 PM.

6. +1 by:

+1

Thanks
    Why bother importing? .... honestly, think about this for a second! when you break it down, is it really worth it?. By the time you pay the 25% US/CANADIAN exchange rate on a dollar, and all the custom and duties and taxes, HST, ..not to mention all the headaches of dealing with customs and the gas money you will have to spend to go pick it up and bring it back to Cda......is it really worth it!

Just find an SLX1200 in Ontario and save yourself the headache my friend!

+1
    Never registered? IF this is in NY then it's highly suspect. Registration is the ONLY proof of ownership since PWCs aren't titled.

+1
    Assuming the seller's explanation is true, that would mean he purchased it new. As such, he should still have the "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin" (MSO). This is an official looking document with all the background scroll to make it look as such. This is the starting point in the chain of ownership for a motorized vehicle, PWCs included. Usually, when a new motor vehicle is registered, the issuing authority will require this document and it must surrendered to them. Such is the case with autos here in MN.

PWC registration in MN is performed by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR, aka: Damn Near Russia), not the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). They don't issue titles for watercraft unless they are over a certain value or were initially financed were the financing party required they be a secured party. As such, every once in awhile when I acquire another used PWC, the MSO will still be in the document pack. The Polaris MSO also has a form definition on the backside to record the chain of ownership across multiple buyers.

I would speculate if you have the MSO and the backside properly records the chain of ownership to you, that would suffice in place of an actual title. However, I would recommend you have this in writing from the appropriate Canadian government official and have the original of that correspondence with you when cross the border to present to a border agent.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadoo XP 94 View Post

Thanks
    Why bother importing? .... honestly, think about this for a second! when you break it down, is it really worth it?. By the time you pay the 25% US/CANADIAN exchange rate on a dollar, and all the custom and duties and taxes, HST, ..not to mention all the headaches of dealing with customs and the gas money you will have to spend to go pick it up and bring it back to Cda......is it really worth it!

Just find an SLX1200 in Ontario and save yourself the headache my friend!
    Ive been looking for a while.. Ill be paying $600 for it with Yacht club trailer US.? Its a 2001. Is that too much? Needs some work as a result of being run aground, ran good until then, Im told. Doesn't have time to fix it. Looks good cosmetically. I thought about leaving the trailer, but I only have one other and it hold my Genesis I and I have nowhere to put that beast! I want a double trailer eventually and I can sell 2 singles and add them up for a double.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I suppose almost any trailer has value up here, but how crappy is that 'included' trailer? The trailer needs to pass inspection, so you may be spending money on the trailer after you get it home.

Old trailer tires are a liability and safety risk. Anything older than five years should be considered 'too old to trust'.

Often I see trailers with the original tires from ten, fifteen, twenty years ago. Those are completely unsafe and can detonate at speed on the highway at any time. Might be good for 5 minutes, a couple of hours, or blow out on the first hard bump.

Any trailer tire more than seven years old is officially end of life, according to the tire industry.

Budget for two new tires and rims. Last time I bought an old trailer with ski, my first stop was WalMart (or whatever is close by) to buy two new wheels with tires, installed them in the parking lot just a few blocks from the seller's house. Did not even think of driving home with those old tires.

Inspect the wheel bearings before towing. A failing wheel bearing can seize at speed and really ruin your day.

Lots of other things to check on an old yet new-to-you trailer; rotted bunk boards, rusted suspension bolts, weakened springs, sun aged winch strap, non-working lighting, cracked frame rails.

Sometimes the trailer coupler is sized for 1 7/8" ball, which will not fit over a 2" ball. Had that problem recently, I could not tow that trailer at all until I either found a 1 7/8" ball and mount for my car or changed the coupler on the trailer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information