+1

Antifreeze needed?

I know this topic has been beat to death but I'm still a little worried since I just rebuilt my 2000 Polaris slx1200 engine. It says in the manual that its self draining? Is the lower case not cooled? It mentions to tilt the jet ski up to allow the water to drain and then start the machine and blip the throttle a few times.

I live in an area were we see temperatures of -30F, will the engine be fine without adding pink antifreeze?
    Last edited by K447; 10-22-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, if you rebuilt the engine then you have seen the crankcase. There is no water jacket around the crankcase, below the cylinders.

The engine cooling system is self draining, this applies to the carburetor Fuji blue engines (1994 and later) and the domestic red carb engines.

Look closely at the exhaust manifold, down low at the rear, just above the battery negative cable grounding bolt (red engines). There is a small water hose there, primarily to allow water to drain from the engine and exhaust manifold water jackets.

The water box gets cleared out by firmly blipping the throttle a few times, just prior to fogging the engine. Tilt the trailer nose high to help get the water out.

If you are worried about it, blip the throttle a few times to clear the waterbox. Then shut it down and wait ten minutes (so the engine isn't getting overheated while running 'dry'). Then start it again and clear the waterbox a few more times. Should be just a water mist coming out the exhaust, which means the waterbox is empty enough.

No antifreeze is needed for winterizing a running Polaris 2-stroke engine

Ficht fuel injected engines need the ski tilted nose up more then ten degrees to ensure the EMM and front stator cooling get drained. Otherwise it is also self draining.

The Pro 785 needs manual draining or antifreeze for the triple pipe exhaust system.

The early (1992 and 1993) Fuji blue engines do have a water cooled crankcase. These do need manual draining when winterizing.

+1
    One place that should have RV antifreeze in a Domestic engine is the exhaust pipe, water remains in the end of it, the outlet is above that & its hard to get it all out, I used to take off the hose that goes from the top of the exhaust pipe to the middle & put some in there just to be safe. They say they are 'self draining', but for $2 you can be sure. I also put a cup or two into the brass outlet that the above mentioned hose was on which flows into the cylinders.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    One place that should have RV antifreeze in a Domestic engine is the exhaust pipe, water remains in the end of it, the outlet is above that & its hard to get it all out,

I used to take off the hose that goes from the top of the exhaust pipe to the middle & put some in there just to be safe. They say they are 'self draining', but for $2 you can be sure.

I also put a cup or two into the brass outlet that the above mentioned hose was on which flows into the cylinders.
    Which red exhaust pipe?
    Both styles?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris-OEM-PWC-Exhaust-Manifold-Pipe-2000-SLX.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	401299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5972-01.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	401300  

+1
    The first pic, the one with the outlet in the center of the pipe, used on the triples, the 700 used the outlet at the end drains.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    ... the one with the outlet in the center of the pipe, used on the triples ...

So even with the trailer tilted nose high and the motor revved firmly multiple times, you worry there is enough water still trapped inside the exhaust pipe lower tuned chamber to cause freeze damage?

+1
    Yes. It only takes a couple minutes & 2 cups of antifreeze to make sure nothing will be damaged from a freeze. I also used to do a pair for a friend that were on a 2 place trailer, the only way you were going to tilt that trailer high was with a forklift.

Thread Information