Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

951 mech and I bit stumped any suggestions.

*reconditoned engine by sbt only bout 1/2 hr on it
    *fuel lines changed carbs cleaned new diapharms
    *stater tested fine
    *cut 1/4 inch off plug leads cleaned screwed back on couple of years ago again recently.(had heaps of trouble because of this bad connection couple of years ago no probs since till cooked it rebuilt now)
    *carbs serviced bout 2-4hrs use before engine rebuild.

So ski is back at the shop it derates or bogs then dies the stater test and plug lead prep up are the only things post rebuild.

Mech wanted to change dess post at $400 hoping that was the prob but symptoms don,t match.

It blows a fair bit of white smoke the 2 times took it out after rebuild till it warms up a bit mech put 300 ml of oil in fuel for run in goes fine then bogs /derates then dies starts straight up randomly does this again. seems to idle ok only died once at idle.

Second water run after rebuild same prob took it home flushing it in the same spot as usual and there were quite a few oil splatters in a circle bout 1 meter from jet pump on shed door. Flushed it in the same spot for 2 years no oil till then.

Mech told me 2 strokes do spit some oil out but yeah told him the above. I'm not sure what to do now its still at the shop. it was doing this same thing after i cooked it before rebuild 370 hrs 140 110 compress so rebuild.

I really don't want to entertain the thought i paid top dollar for a dodgy rebuild he seems like a good bloke and the company is one of the only importers of older seadoo parts in oz so.

If any body could spare the time to type couple of suggestions would be appreciated greatly spent couple of hours last night scrolling the stickys and threads not much really stood out to me. But i'm not an expert.
    thanks all.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakey View Post
    *reconditoned engine by sbt only bout 1/2 hr on it
    *fuel lines changed carbs cleaned new diapharms
    *stater tested fine
    *cut 1/4 inch off plug leads cleaned screwed back on couple of years ago again recently.(had heaps of trouble because of this bad connection couple of years ago no probs since till cooked it rebuilt now)
    *carbs serviced bout 2-4hrs use before engine rebuild.

So ski is back at the shop it derates or bogs then dies the stater test and plug lead prep up are the only things post rebuild.

Mech wanted to change dess post at $400 hoping that was the prob but symptoms don,t match.

It blows a fair bit of white smoke the 2 times took it out after rebuild till it warms up a bit mech put 300 ml of oil in fuel for run in goes fine then bogs /derates then dies starts straight up randomly does this again. seems to idle ok only died once at idle.

Second water run after rebuild same prob took it home flushing it in the same spot as usual and there were quite a few oil splatters in a circle bout 1 meter from jet pump on shed door. Flushed it in the same spot for 2 years no oil till then.

Mech told me 2 strokes do spit some oil out but yeah told him the above. I'm not sure what to do now its still at the shop. it was doing this same thing after i cooked it before rebuild 370 hrs 140 110 compress so rebuild.

I really don't want to entertain the thought i paid top dollar for a dodgy rebuild he seems like a good bloke and the company is one of the only importers of older seadoo parts in oz so.

If any body could spare the time to type couple of suggestions would be appreciated greatly spent couple of hours last night scrolling the stickys and threads not much really stood out to me. But i'm not an expert.
    thanks all.

No, I doubt that's it's your dess post, are you getting any kind of irregular beeping sound when putting your dess key in? I suspect that maybe it has something to do with your gas or oil lines or the carburation, maybe you have an air pocket in the lines? where the line's bled properly after the engine was put back in? Does it idle ok what are the rpm at idle? maybe the carbs are not adjusted properly? ....any body else care to chime in!

+1
    Check the compression, possible seizure.

No irregular beeping. Don't know if he bled the lines properly I'll ask. It idles fine although he had a bit trouble getting it to start when i dropped it back and it was a bit rough but nothing out of ordinary. He was a little hasty like 5 secs after it started to say the engines fine nothing wrong with it it's purring which i didn't enter into much at the time. Idles in the water bout 1000-1200 i think. He didn't adjust anything on the carbs although i asked to have them looked at didn't get the impression they were. It ran fine for 2 years before rebuild. I will mention compression also on Monday. He said he'll get back to me late next week so wouldn't be surprised if the engines out on the bench now 12 month warranty. My brother is mechanic and said he might have damaged one of the rings reassembling or not honed the bor out properly. I was under the impression they put new bor rings and pistons in when reconditioning.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakey View Post
    No irregular beeping. Don't know if he bled the lines properly I'll ask. It idles fine although he had a bit trouble getting it to start when i dropped it back and it was a bit rough but nothing out of ordinary. He was a little hasty like 5 secs after it started to say the engines fine nothing wrong with it it's purring which i didn't enter into much at the time. Idles in the water bout 1000-1200 i think. He didn't adjust anything on the carbs although i asked to have them looked at didn't get the impression they were. It ran fine for 2 years before rebuild. I will mention compression also on Monday. He said he'll get back to me late next week so wouldn't be surprised if the engines out on the bench now 12 month warranty. My brother is mechanic and said he might have damaged one of the rings reassembling or not honed the bor out properly. I was under the impression they put new bor rings and pistons in when reconditioning.

I'm not sure about the 951 engines, but my 657xcc engine and the my other 787cc engines idle at 1500 rpm in the water and 3000 rpm out of the water

yeah it used to idle lower but turned it up a bit after I got it back but didn't muck around after it started stopping i didn't know where to adjust idle till the other day when the mech showed me.
    These carbs are hard to tune even if you know what you're doing and i don't so didn't touch them cause it was running fine.

+1
    Yeah, carbs adjustment can be a major headaches! the trick to having trouble free carbs, is too never change the manufacturer settings ..LOL. Unless you've done some modifications to the engine, then ok, but I never adjust them and I never have problems with them....knock on wood ..haha!

Is your engine backfiring?

1)Have you check your fuel filter...it could just be dirty
    2)Is the Flame arrester clean
    3) Have you check your spark plugs after running the engine...how do they look?
    4)It could be just bad gasoline...
    5) Partially closed choke? what year is your 951 , is it a GSX? up to 98 is a manual choke, the 99's are auto!
    6) Double check the engine and carburators, give it a once over, get in there with a mirow and flashlight an see if maybe something is still loose when the rebuilt engine was put back in?
    7) Is your fuel valve fully open or between reserve and full open?

Don't think it was backfiring. Other than prepping up the plug leads at the plug end i didn't look at or touch anything else just took it back to the shop that rebuilt the engine.

Thinking about it now he didn't fill the oil injection tank before handing the ski over and didn't mention that he hadn't. It had oil in it when I dropped it off but i knew I had none at home so bought some off him when I picked it up. I checked the oil tank before I took it outthe first time and it was empty so filled it up but didn't occur to me to bleed the lines never had to always kept the oil levels up.

Now I'm not a mechanic but i do my own oil changes etc.various other things most people with some common sense can do on my other vehicles and the last thing I do is double check to make sure i put the oil in and the sump plug is not leaking before i start it wouldn't you do that I'd you just rebuilt it or hand it over and at least mention you emptied the tank and didn't fill it up.

Right so just wanted to conclude this unnecessary waste of a summer, 2 good big swells and pretty much demolished my patience and temper.
    Turns out after 3 rebuilds him sending it to another mechanic and trying to wipe his hands of me after 2nd rebuild was returned the fuel filter is completely blocked, battery pretty much dead and oil injection pump not supplying oil under about 3000 rpm (all basic elements you would check after 2nd rebuild and he said he was stumped checked tested everything).
    New guy had it 1/2 a day and established most of this and that it was pretty much seized 'again' then told me other said he not gonna cover it as it is a fuel issue and not engine worksmanship.
    I rang and told him what happened last time I got this angry and he picked it up and rebuilt it the 3rd time new guy put it back in.
    Cost me an extra $800, 4 trips, up and back, 6 months (spring-summer), emotional grief and nearly an ugly court appearance for property damage and grievous bodily harm.
    I told this bloke at the start the history of the ski offered to pay extra to check it out as it is an old ski that i use with my children and in the ocean when its small and big for tow ins. Its not very comforting from one of Australias major importers of one of the top brands.
    I don't want to name for legal reasons but if your in se qld australia pm me for a heads up.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Idle should be 1500rpm ~ in the water, Have you checked the oil injection alignment timing marks to see if they line up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information