Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Still banging my head with this sl750

Hey everyone hoping I can get some help with my 95 sl750..i have rebuilt the carburetors and set them to factory specs. I've even had a former polaris tech double check all of my fuel system..from what I can make out on my mfd is I'm going about 2 mph top speed and rpm is around 2200..hard to tell though as certain numbers are hard to read and that's with the throttle pinned...also have new plugs installed with no luck...triple outlet pentagon installed....no difference..i have 125 compression across the board and spark seems to be there.. Any idea's?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Offensivepro77 View Post
    Hey everyone hoping I can get some help with my 95 sl750..i have rebuilt the carburetors and set them to factory specs. I've even had a former polaris tech double check all of my fuel system..from what I can make out on my mfd is I'm going about 2 mph top speed and rpm is around 2200..hard to tell though as certain numbers are hard to read and that's with the throttle pinned...also have new plugs installed with no luck...triple outlet pentagon installed....no difference..i have 125 compression across the board and spark seems to be there.. Any idea's?
    I say this all the time when it comes to the Polaris....Dump that turd its nothing but a headache/money pit. Unless you enjoy hours of wrenching for each hour you ride it just isn't worth it. I parted mine out and never looked back....I'm sure the die hards will be chiming in soon about how I didn't properly rebuild it and so forth and so on. Find yourself a nice 4-stroke and never look back

I don't mind the wrenching on it but what gets me is not seeing any improvements after doing these things

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I am not a Fuji engine expert, but something is not right (obviously). Out of the water, do a single cylinder at a time test. See if the engine runs about the same (roughly) when firing on each cylinder with the other two spark plug wires grounded.

Check ignition timing. If the flywheel has sheared the woodruff key and shifted the ignition timing will be incorrect, but still able to run the engine, just poorly.

What else has been checked, or not checked, by yourself or the Polaris tech?

As I pull the plug wires off while it's running from the back of ski to the front it stays running but when I pull the front off (bow I think mag?) It zaps me and it quiets down alittle...still stays running... as for ignition timing how would I check that? Other things I've checked I have opened electrical box it has very slight corrosion not much that little fuse appears to be good and impeller seems to be in pretty decent shape...ive also trimmed 1/4 inch off each plug wire and installed boot back on....im not sure if it would make a difference but the wires are snipped for what I think is fuel gage on top of tank and the electric trim does not work..but I figured I would start with trying to get it to run right before I tackled that.. Thanks

+1
    Ah, the normal way is to stop the engine between each single cylinder test

TWO spark plug wires grounded at a time, only one connected to the cylinder under test. Then same test with just one other cylinder connected, and then again for the third cylinder, firing by itself.

+1
    ... as for ignition timing how would I check that? ...

ive also trimmed 1/4 inch off each plug wire and installed boot back on....
    The spark plug boots were screwed onto the wire ends, correct? There is a tiny threaded stud in the spark plug cap that screws into the core of the plug wire.

Ignition timing is checked with a timing light. Details can be found here.

If my memory serves me right (i did it a couple months ago) it kind of just pushed into it...i would have to check it again to make sure

I just tried the cylinder test the way you said to and it still runs fine just backfired once and stalled with the middle but fired back up and ran

+1
    I just tried the cylinder test the way you said to and it still runs fine just backfired once and stalled with the middle but fired back up and ran
    make sure the plug wires are properly screwed into the plug caps, then check the ignition timing.

You can also check the ohms readings from each plug wire back to the engine case. Should be within spec and not jump around as the wire is wiggled.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information