Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

2013 GTR Misfire at low to mid rpm

Having a slight misfire on my gtr with 180 hours. It only misfires or breaks up at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. Anything beyond that seems totally fine including wide open. With the ski in eco mode it misfires throughout the whole range even up at full cruise speed in eco mode just to give you and idea of the low end misfire. Sport and touring mode do the same exact thing until I give it more gas then it clears up.

I just replaced all the coils. Mine were worn out and kept popping out anyway so I upgraded to the new bolt on coils. Figured that was a good place to start since it was something I needed. It seems slightly better after installing those but it's still misfiring and breaking up in the lower rpms.

I popped the fuel injectors out and turned the engine over. All 3 misted evenly as far as I can tell.

I'm thinking I should send these out to be tested and cleaned as my next plan of action. Any recommendations on who to use for this?

Also, am I missing anything that I can check before trying the injector cleaning?

Thanks

+1
    New spark plugs? ??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboted View Post
    New spark plugs? ??
    yep, changed them when symptoms first started. Then proceeded to the coils.

+1
    Maybe ic just staring to leak.... at wot it might not misfire if it's a tiny leak.. what do the plugs look like after the misfire or ride?

+1
    Is it possible that it is misfiring at WOT? Harder to feel a misfire at higher RPM's.

+1
    That's exactly how mine acted with a leaking I/C.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmorningstar_rxp View Post
    Maybe ic just staring to leak.... at wot it might not misfire if it's a tiny leak.. what do the plugs look like after the misfire or ride?
    I'm running a 6 month old Fizzle IC with 60 hours on it. I hope that's not the case but i'll leak test it just in case. Plugs were clean but had a slight greyish residue on them after 1 ride with this issue. That could mean a slightly lean condition IIRC...

Quote Originally Posted by DaTT View Post
    Is it possible that it is misfiring at WOT? Harder to feel a misfire at higher RPM's.
    I'm running free flow exhaust so hearing the miss is super noticable. It completely goes away once you give it more gas.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPTx View Post
    That's exactly how mine acted with a leaking I/C.
    Good to know. I'll plan on leak testing mine to rule that out.

So I did manage to work on the ski a bit. Took a look around everything I know to check. I removed and cleaned the throttle body. During this I found that my intake hose was torn. The rear corrugated one that attaches the SCer to the intake hard pipe. My intercooler pipes also had a bit of oil sludge buildup in them. Nothing crazy but shouldn't be there. Sounds like I need to shove some steel wool in my catch can... I also found oil sludge laying in my intake mani. Cleaned that up as well.

Started the ski without the IC or Scer attached and got the same exact symptoms. I don't feel like the oil sludge would cause this but I could be wrong.

Ended up pulling my injectors and sending them off to a company for flow testing and cleaning. Here's to hoping that will solve it. In the meantime i'll leak test my intercooler when I get a chance. Even if the injectors don't solve this, can't hurt having them professionally cleaned.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go along.

+1
    Hopefully they give you a before and after cleaning flow report on the injectors. So, you can tell if you had a bad one. I would check fuel pressure, also.

+1
    Had a problem before where the fuel pump couldn't keep up at high throttle. Had to put a new pump in

+1

Misfire

I have been chasing the same issue on my ski (2011 RXTX) as well, it doesn't have a dead miss but more like a cough at around 2800 to 3800 rpm anything under or over it absolutely fine, every other seadoo with the 1503 engine I have ridden does the same thing, and I'm sure many more members can say the same, at lower rpm's they run a little rough and not as smooth as they do at 5000 rpm or above, its a strange issue and I want to get to the bottom of it and I'm sure many others do as well. My ski only has 30 hours on it and it has a non leaking riva gen 3 intercooler, brand new denso ixu27 plugs, and I have only ever put good quality 93 octane fuel in it, my buddy has a brand new jetboat with very few hours and it has the same issue, maybe its just in the ECM programming, I would really like to figure it out either way

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information