Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2004 XLT1200 powervalves out of sync???

Hi everyone. I'm new and I appreciate that you should read all the threads befor you post, however...... After countless hours of researching setting up my XLT PV's I can't seem to find out why no.3 PV seems to not close fully with manually turning the rod (everyone seems to finish threads talking about wave eater clips).

It it looks to me the plastic couplers have too much play in them. I've just rebuilt the engine and whole ski but I'm not confident with the powervalve operation and would like to rectify it before I hit the button.

I have have a genuine manual and another thing, I have set the high screw at 1 1/4 and low at 1 as a starting point as it is not listed. The engine is totally stock standard.

Any info or redirection to the correct thread would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

+1
    Wave eater clips just keep the pin from walking out the side of the valve and allowing it to fall out of the linkage. The couplers are what you are in need of. Here's an eBay link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162024519823

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	161 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	400932  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 30xs View Post
    Wave eater clips just keep the pin from walking out the side of the valve and allowing it to fall out of the linkage. The couplers are what you are in need of. Here's an eBay link

Don't ues those couplers!! The reason is that those have a metal pin that rest inside the rotary shaft. The metal to metal wears from movement and engine vibrations. With a short time of riding you have more slack than before. The best thing to do is use vise grips or pliers to close the gaps in the shafts and use the plastic ones. Keeping them clean helps them to move easily.

+1
    Sorry, my bad on the suggestion. I would say the power valves probably need cleaned if it's binding up the couplers.

+1
    Just get some new OEM couplers, they do get worn. Mudslanger's suggestion is a good one, get new OEM couplers and snug up the fit in the shaft. I would think you'll be good for another 100 hrs

Thanks. New powervalves and cylinders fitted so I can see how the plastic couplers could be worn.

7. +1 by:

+1

2004 XLT1200 powervalves out of sync???

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 30xs View Post

Don't ues those couplers!! The reason is that those have a metal pin that rest inside the rotary shaft. The metal to metal wears from movement and engine vibrations. With a short time of riding you have more slack than before. The best thing to do is use vise grips or pliers to close the gaps in the shafts and use the plastic ones. Keeping them clean helps them to move easily.
    I completely disagree, the waveeater powervalve couplers are by far better than the OEM ones and do not wear the metal on the pv shafts if installed correctly. I have over 100 hours on a couple sets and they are like new. Try using the OEM ones for 100 hours and see how bad of shape they are in.

+1
    Mike I'm glad you had good luck out of your couplers. I have used them when they first came out and have pulled them off and put them in the trash off of many many customers skis I've worked on. All the skis I have pulled them off of had too much slack from rear cylinder to front cylinder and a wear place where the coupler pin was wearing the shaft. Of course anyone can use what they want but I wouldn't and I wouldn't use them on any of my customers ski.

+1
    Just a question, but would drilling them to accept a larger pin, so there was less slop, or placing a sleeve over the pin help cushion them to the negative effects of loose metal to metal contact?

+1
    The best thing I have found is the stock plastic couplers. If you close the slot where it is hard to get the plastic ones in they stay tight for a long time. I have tried other things to keep the shafts perfectly aligned. I have cut stainless blades and put between the shafts and used clamps and zip ties to keep them in place. You have to change ends on the middle cylinder to do that. The stock ones are the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information