2016 Yamaha VXS/VXR oil level question

Hello everyone! I was finally able to do the 10 Hour oil/filter change at 12Hrs and it was easier than I thought. I was able to get almost 4 qts out and added the same amount back. I just find it very hard to get a good reading on the dipstick as it is hard to see the oil. Not sure if anyone else is having the same issue. What is the best way to check the oil level on this model? Any tips to make it easier to see the oil?
    The manual says that if the engine was running to allow the engine oil to settle by waiting 5 minutes. But the Pre-launch checklist says to check the oil and to make sure it is between the 2 marks so it seems you could check the level with the engine either cold or warm. Any advice is really appreciated.

+1
    The 1.8 engine is that like your car/truck engine. It doesn't have the oil tank like the 1.1 MR1 motor that was checked differently. Oil doesn't expand that much when hot. You can check either hot or cold. If engine was just run, giving it those 5 minutes lets all the oil drain into the oil pan to get a proper reading. Keep the oil at halfway between the two marks. Yes, it's hard to see but wipe the stick clean, insert, and when pulled out, have a good light to see where the shine stops from the dull finish of the stick. There are dyes for oil but it's not needed. Just take a good look and you'll see the oil line on the stick.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Erierunner View Post
    The 1.8 engine is that like your car/truck engine. It doesn't have the oil tank like the 1.1 MR1 motor that was checked differently. Oil doesn't expand that much when hot. You can check either hot or cold. If engine was just run, giving it those 5 minutes lets all the oil drain into the oil pan to get a proper reading. Keep the oil at halfway between the two marks. Yes, it's hard to see but wipe the stick clean, insert, and when pulled out, have a good light to see where the shine stops from the dull finish of the stick. There are dyes for oil but it's not needed. Just take a good look and you'll see the oil line on the stick.
    Thanks for the reply this is very helpful!

+1
    If you took 4 out and put 4 in, I would feel pretty good. I think the 1.8 is very sensitive to over filling and if you had too much oil, I think you get an error code, but not sure.

I warmed the engine on the hose for about 5 minutes and then tilted the trailer down and was able to almost fill a 1 gallon water jug. I ran the ski yesterday without any issues it ran great and no error codes.

Just checked with the engine cold and the level is right on the middle. Cleaning the stick really good with paper towel and plenty of light as suggested helped a lot.

Thread Information