Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

This will stir the pot....Yamaha vs Seadoo 2017

Looking at the 2017 line-up, it is sure fun to see Yamaha and Seadoo both pick-up the pace. But frankly, it seems like Seadoo is hitting the ball a little further, either that, or their marketing is even better than I give them credit. Most notably, they have expanded their line directly where people are buying water craft. While they have added a Trixx line which is a simple product extension, it will surely sell, they have also added a 90 ACE GTS with a spark-like bottom half, and a more typical machine on top...all at a price point that I think may make Yamaha's EX line obsolete especially if they extend the platform a bit further. I am also really impressed with the GTR230 machines...priced close to where a Yamaha Cruiser HO is or VXR, but more features and a whopping 50 more HP and it runs on 87 Octane (which Yamaha has tried to own up to now).

Anyway, I give Yamaha a solid B for innovation, but Seadoo an A. Kawasaki, on the other hand, they continue sit on the bench. Great products, but another year with no change....just a stand-up model which likely will sell in low quantity.

I have two concerns with Seadoo....build quality and the factthat they are so innovative, that you buy something one year, that is old news three years later. Meanwhile, the guy who bought the STX-15F in 2008 is still the same as a 2017

+1
    Yamaha does not aim to be the most innovative because innovative often comes with huge corrections and frustrations in real world usage. Yamaha aims for the reliability and they have that portion of the market covered. I say it all the time, if BRP was so reliable, why do all the rental fleets use Yamaha's? Correct, they want long term reliability. I mean, who doesn't love silly, overpriced foot pegs and a bicycle style handlebar latch to ride circles in the cove all day, doing water wheelies. Silly rabbit, Trixx are for kids.

In all reality, the Yamaha vs. Seadoo thing is like Land Rover vs. Toyota. One will be reliable forever and one will be reliable enough to make it through the warranty.

BRP caters to the people who think they are buying something cool. Yamaha caters to those who want to ride.

+1
    I think the rental issue is reliability, MPG, and fewer things to break...PLUS a healthy dose of which machine is easier to work on.

But when you look at what people are buying, its the entry level stuff. Seadoo garners the biggest market share (50%) with the Spark leading in sales, followed closely by Yamaha (40%) and Kawasaki is shrinking at now less then 10% share.
    Last edited by WaterDR; 10-13-2016 at 08:49 PM.

+1
    Here we go again .

i got sold on the great reliability of my first Yamaha vxr 700 in 1993. Think about killed me riding through some tree lined trails when the back end shot out unexpectedly. Never considered a Yamaha since then. Seadoo where running circles around me. I've had a bunch of seadoos and my worst warranty issue was driveshaft replacement in 2010...big deal...ride on.

+1
    For me, BRP's marketing statement "the ride says it all" is the most accurate marketing statement ever. I have a VXS and planned on replacing with a FZR till I did a demo on a 300 RXTX, thats all it took. Had the same thing happen with ATV's. Had a Honda and was perfectly happy with it till I rode a Can Am, sold the Honda and bought a Can Am right after.
    As far as reliability, well seems Yamaha is not the bullet proof never have an issue product that some claim.

Bottom line is they both make great machines and they both have issues, it just comes down to personal preference. Others may have a different option but thats mine.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
    Anyway, I give Yamaha a solid B for innovation, but Seadoo an A. Kawasaki, on the other hand, they continue sit on the bench. Great products, but another year with no change....just a stand-up model which likely will sell in low quantity.
    O.K., I'm a pretty staunch BRP/Sea-Doo fan, but...

Have you seen Kawis new SX-R?
    http://watercraftjournal.com/the-ret...i-sx-r-jetski/

yep, its kinda big, but I took a look at the WF, and the idea of a 60+mph/160hp/4cyl/4stroke stand-up is kind of interesting.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lilman26 View Post
    ... I have a VXS and planned on replacing with a FZR till I did a demo on a 300 RXTX, thats all it took...
    What generation is the VXS? Hull design was changed for 2015

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raceneked View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
    O.K., I'm a pretty staunch BRP/Sea-Doo fan, but...

Have you seen Kawis new SX-R?
    http://watercraftjournal.com/the-ret...i-sx-r-jetski/

yep, its kinda big, but I took a look at the WF, and the idea of a 60+mph/160hp/4cyl/4stroke stand-up is kind of interesting.
    Yea, I have seen these. Amazing that they put the 15F engine in this...not sure if it will be governed or not, but I am just not sure they will sell.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lilman26 View Post
    For me, BRP's marketing statement "the ride says it all" is the most accurate marketing statement ever. I have a VXS and planned on replacing with a FZR till I did a demo on a 300 RXTX, thats all it took. Had the same thing happen with ATV's. Had a Honda and was perfectly happy with it till I rode a Can Am, sold the Honda and bought a Can Am right after.
    As far as reliability, well seems Yamaha is not the bullet proof never have an issue product that some claim.

Bottom line is they both make great machines and they both have issues, it just comes down to personal preference. Others may have a different option but thats mine.
    Everything is a great machine until it breaks and there is a lot of truth to what you say. When someone asks me which brand is better I usually ask them if they like bells and whistles or not? BRP seems to do a much better job with features but features break. Anytime I have seen long-term reviews of BRP, Yam and Kawi, the BRP machines seem to have the most issues.

Anyway, my point is starting this thread was really to showcase that I think both new 2017 lines seem to have a lot to offer but that BRP seems to be more aggressive as usual in their approach. Be interesting to see what sells in 2017.

+1
    if you want to ride a ski and have fun...buy a seadoo

if your old and like to sit back and ride...buy a yammie or a pontoon bote

if your young and want the wildest ride...standup ski

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information