Two Stroke Maintenance gp1300r

New to the two stroke world...how much more maintenance would you say it is compared to a 4 stroker? I am looking at this sweet 08 gp1300r with ~100 hours on it for $3500 ish. I know they have the tunnel and grate issues. But my question is more high level, two stroke unfamiliarity based...

Thanks!

African-American
    +1
    Covert it to premix. Add a good 2stroke oil to fuel at 40:1 and be done with it. New Spark plugs every season.

That's about it for maintenance.

Tunnel and intake grate is only needed if u want to change the impeller.

African-American
    +1
    As per watercraftrider.com

2-Stroke vs 4-Stroke PWCs

2-Stroke or 4-stroke?

Q: I’m trying to decide between getting a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke PWC, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

A: The advantage of a 2-stroke can be summed up in three words; light, simple and cheap. For decades, all PWCs were powered by 2-stroke engines. One major reason is because they can be swamped with water, drained and put back into use using relatively simple procedures. On the other hand, a 4-stroke requires much more extensive draining and oil-clearing procedures. 2-stroke engines are generally much lighter than a comparable 4-stroke and have significantly fewer parts, making them simple and relatively inexpensive to build and maintain.

“Mind if I smoke?”

The disadvantages of 2-strokes mostly center on emissions and the added oil that needs to be “burned” with use. 2-stroke engines need to be lubricated by oil either added directly to the fuel or to a remote tank wherein the oil can be pumped by the engine in specific amounts and added into the engine automatically for proper lubrication. This added oil coupled with the inherent inefficiency of the design make for “dirty” emissions properties, especially in the area of hydrocarbon emissions. The exceptions to this were the direct fuel-injected (DI) 2-strokes sold in the early 2000s. Many environmental groups have centered on the poor emissions from non-DI 2-strokes and have lobbied successfully to have them banned from access to some major recreational destinations including lake Tahoe, Lake Powell, Lake Mead and Lake Mojave.

“Clean & Mean”

For 4-strokes, the big advantages are clean emissions and fuel efficiency that translates into superior gas mileage 20% to 30%+ better than comparable 2-strokes. They are also a very “smooth” running engine at idle compared to many 2-strokes which makes for a more pleasant rider experience in situations like no-wake zones. Also, there is no oil to add to the fuel for use, which also cuts down on the operational costs (crankcase oil still needs to be monitored).

The disadvantages of 4-strokes are weight, complexity and cost. All of the additional valvetrain, crankcase oil and overall engine size add to the weight of a 4-stroke engine, as much as 80lbs. That, plus the larger hull typical of 4-stroke hulls equates to PWCs that are 100-250lbs heavier that the average 2-stroke skis. It is significant to note that the added weight can be a plus in rough-water conditions. All new PWC currently for sale for recreational use are 4-stroke skis.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Get the GP1300R you won't regret it! These 2 strokes are simple, fun and fast

I'd really like to pull trigger but I like doing long trips sometimes...is it a pain with premix?

African-American
    +1
    500ml per 20 liters.. I have little bottles of 500ml which I add to my 20litre fuel cans.

If u want reliability it's the most. Otherwise keep the stock oil injection, use a high quality oil and make sure you replace the oil lines and use proper crimped hose clamps to secure them.

+1
    I use Gatorade bottles, (1) 32oz bottle of oil per every 10 gallons of gas. Easy and fits in front compartment!

Thread Information