Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

2015 Ultra 310x possible seized engine

Well this happened 2 weeks ago now I think. But down at the lake, 2015 Ultra 310x, had been running it for about 20 minutes pretty easy, and opened it up to about 55 mph or so. The engine didn't seem like all was just right, so I backed off a bit for a few seconds, then hit the throttle again. Hit 55 again, started acting up real bad, losing power at first, then bad engine noises. I slowed it way down, and the engine was making some pretty crappy noises. Chopped the throttle, smoke is pouring out of the exhaust, lots of it, then the engine shut off. I did attempt a restart, no start. I could just smell the oil in the smoke that was catching up to us. Anyway, I was able to flag a pontoon boat that was 100 yds away, and the kind folks gave us a tow about 3 miles back to the ramp. Need to mention that I did not notice any warning lights that had come on.

My ski has a total of 30 hrs on it now, I have put 11 hrs on it. Got it home, pulled the seat, and the hull is full of oil, none on the dipstick. And yes, the oil was checked after last ride, and before I took it out. So I am suspecting a piston issue, similar to what I have read on here. I called the dealer this afternoon, that I purchased it from. Told the service mgr the details, bought it used, 19 hrs, has 30 hrs now. And out of warranty. I let him know that I was definitely looking for help from his dealership, or Kawasaki in getting this fixed. Simply said that with the research I had done, this was an issue with some of these skis, no reason for this ski to have this issue with only 30 hrs on it. We did talk a bit more, and he said that he could submit a claim to Kawasaki to see if they would help with it.

So I guess I am asking if anyone else has had this issue/ or similar, and have gotten some help with repair costs. Barring that, what am I looking at in repair costs? Estimated of course. Any other advise would be appreciated as well.

+1
    you wont be the first put in this predicament it will be interesting to see how you fair, please keep us all posted.

+1
    When mine blew #2 ring no oil was in the hull (or the engine!) but it did all go out the exhaust. If oil is in the hull then wouldn't that indicate a penetration somewhere?
    I had no warning lights & no bad sounds just lots of smoke but I was close to the ramp.
    Hope they help out because once it's sorted you should have no issues. My 2015 310r is at 151hrs & still going strong.
    Don't mean to sound rude but how is a 2015 ski out of warranty? I got 3yrs factory warranty with mine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DCPTIV View Post
    When mine blew #2 ring no oil was in the hull (or the engine!) but it did all go out the exhaust. If oil is in the hull then wouldn't that indicate a penetration somewhere?
    I had no warning lights & no bad sounds just lots of smoke but I was close to the ramp.
    Hope they help out because once it's sorted you should have no issues. My 2015 310r is at 151hrs & still going strong.
    Don't mean to sound rude but how is a 2015 ski out of warranty? I got 3yrs factory warranty with mine.
    Standard warranty is 1 year!!!!!
    FYI You have to pay to extended the warranty, some dealer's might throw it in on the deal.
    This is a very common issue with these skis.
    Several 15's in my area had piston failure. Mine was at 40 hours. They rebuilt the engine with 300 pistons now I'm at 212 hours no problems or oil burning. This 310 pistons are the issue. Kawi should help you out. I'm sure the previous owner traded it in because of the issue. They usually start using oil before they go.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    A nicely wordered email to the dealer and kawi will go a long way , don't start down the threatening track because that will get you no where.
    Last edited by sirbreaksalot; 10-13-2016 at 11:30 PM.

6. +1 by:

GZA

did kawasaki fix this problem on the 2016 models?

+1
    oil generally blows back out the intake due to excessive crankcase pressures flooding the hull..

Quote Originally Posted by DCPTIV View Post

+1
    Taking it to the dealer in the morning. I think the oil was puked out the intake and out thru the airbox. Exterior of airbox is covered in oil, as is the backside of fuel tank. I did a quick look at the block with mirror and flashlight. Did not see any holes.

Did not get all upset at the service guy I talked to. Will keep you folks advised. Got my fingers crossed!

+1
    Hope it works out and they take care of you!!!!!

+1
    So if I tell him that Kawasaki is aware of this "possible " issue, would this be a true statement? And is the fix still 300 pistons yet today?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information