Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Fuel Stabilizer Tests

Does anyone know whether there was a proper test done to determine if there is a need for fuel stabilization and not just the company that is selling the product? Seems to me like most of it is anecdotal as opposed to real science.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have not yet found/read a concise review nor a useful 'scientific' comparison of gasoline stabilizer products. Mostly anecdotal, and often with very narrow 'test' parameters.

What the product actually contains and what it does, chemically, tend to be informal and vague. Often the testimonials go back decades, yet it is unclear if the product formulation has changed over time or whether the gasoline itself is now different.

Gasoline blends vary by region, and ethanol adds another huge variable.

Gasoline stored in a vented fuel tank is going to age differently from a sealed tank. Outdoor winter storage (compared to indoor storage, even unheated) can have wide temperature swings from day to night and sunshine to snowy days.

Many of us have seen examples of old gasoline gone bad but it is often unclear exactly how old the fuel is or even what kind of gasoline it was originally (ethanol blend, premium?) or whether it was contaminated by something else in the tank (water?).

Therein lies the issue. When you give a testimonial, what exactly are you saying? "It worked for me". Well, under what conditions and how did you establish that. The usual answer is "I did this for 3 years and no problems.". A lot of times, the problem is small and hard to see. For instance, a fuel injector doesn't usually die instantly. It deteriorates slowly so it is hard to notice till it is FUBAR. I didn't use fuel injector cleaner for the last 5 years. But if you don't check the flow rates, how do you know? In my case, I do it every 3 years so I know it went in at 220 cc and came out at 250 and if it keeps happening, I know that every 3 years, it will lose about 30cc.

+1
    http://www.boatingmag.com/gear/boati...el-stabilizers

not exactly scientific, but it's a start.

+1
    If your worried that the products may not work, then drain your fuel from the tank. Remove Fuel line connector at fuel rail, apply 50 psi air. Start it up and run until it stalls (5-10 sec) This will remove fuel from the rail and injectors.

Personally, Just put STA-BIL in the tank, mix, run until it reaches injectors, done! Never had a fuel issue ever doing that.(20 years of ski's

I believe the old view of "run it dry" like you mentioned above is the worst possible thing you can do. There are two issues with this. One is that some materials, once exposed to contact with fuel, tend to degrade faster when exposed to air. Old mechanics like me used to see this effect with carb gaskets and fuel lines. The other issue is that you can never blow out all residual gas. Any gas left will have direct contact with the air in the lines and will turn into varnish.

7. +1 by:

I will also comment on the fact that gas is formulated differently across the country. I lived in San Diego for many years and own an old VW. I rarely drove it, and after sitting for a month, varnish would plug the pilot jet. I moved to the Midwest, and drove the car less often, but even sitting for 6-8 months, the pilot jet never plugged. California has the worst gas in the country.

+1
    I have been using Star Tron as stabilizer in my ski for 7 years & fuel system is still perfect. At the end of the season I add the treatment then completely fill my tank until there is no air to allow for condensation. I also run my ski with the treatment periodically through the summer & on my last outing. Works for me.

+1
    Especially critical if you run ethanol gas. I leave gas in my generator for over a year and never have an issue starting it. I run stabil for ethanol fuels. I keep the tank full to eliminate air and always turn off the fuel and run it till it shuts off to get the gas out of the carburetor. My Chinese generator is from like from 2005...still runs like new. Star Tron is a good treatment as far I am concerned as well.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post
    Especially critical if you run ethanol gas...

I run stabil for ethanol fuels.

... Star Tron is a good treatment as far I am concerned as well.
    Have you done some comparative tests between those products?

Preference either way?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information