+1

How to weld your 2 piece oil tank.

After several tries with various methods and products on a few old tanks, I figured out a method to easily weld together your 2 pc oil tank. This 2pc design has proven to be an absolute design failure by the folks at Bombardier. You either replace it every couple years when the seams start leaking OR replace it with the '96 only 1 pc version.
    First you obviously need your tank out and empty. Then I use a solvent and slosh it around to break down and remove most of the oil remaining. After that it's a thorough bath with degreaser and water. Then I blow most of the water out with compressed air and also shoot air along the seam to blow out any oil still hiding in there. Hose the seam down with some carb cleaner and blow it out again. Repeat as necessary. Finally wipe the whole seam area down with a paper towel and carb cleaner and allow any remaining carb cleaner to evaporate. Now your ready to turn your 2pc tank into a 1pc tank.

If your tank has the little cracks running upwards towards the top of the tank just use a dremel with an 1/8" drill bit and lightly v-groove out the cracks first. Then use the same method and go over them twice.

+1
    very nice. how well do you think this would work on an old gas tank with large crack?

+1
    Well, most gas tanks are HDPE, which is the same material. It will work the same. If the tank is thick I would use a propane torch to heat the area first, just enough to make the plastic get shiny. That way there is still enough heat to melt the two together. If the area cools too quickly it causes the new material to just sit on top. With thicker material you'll need to watch that.

+1
    good idea, i will give it a try. thanks

+1
    Just did this on a '02 GTX. Used evaporative cooler line for filler. Works perfect.

+1
    Great! Did you go slowly watching a small blue flame? If you let too much flame build on the filler material it turns to orange and starts melting and dripping waayy too fast. Just blow it out, let it cool, then relight it and go again.

Thread Information