Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2004 SUV??

+1

2004 SUV??

Hey everyone, just wanting to know some things about the suv's. I found an 04 with 49 hrs and a galvanized Yamaha trailer. The ski is probably the cleanest used jet ski I have ever seen inside and out. The gentleman selling it has taken meticulous care of the machine the whole time he has owned it. I am going to test ride tomorrow afternoon and if all goes well I am paying him 5k for it. Is this as good of a deal as I think it is?

thanks for all of your input!

+1
    Hmmm... That's kinda high. 4k would be more like the range for pristine condition that you describe. Even then, there are many things you'll probably end up spending $$$ on to do basic PM type mods. Carb rebuilds, rejetting for durability, D-plate to get rid of cat, oil lines replaced are immediate things that come to mind. Also sealing the pump for cavitation issues that SUV's seem especially prone to.
    All in all seems like a high price tag. Other folks may give other thoughts...
    Just know that odds are very good that you'll be putting some additional money into it sooner than later. 49 hrs means it has sat a lot, not necessarily a good thing w a two-stroke

+1
    I concur. 5k is high for that ski, no matter how clean. I wouldn't go over 4, because you have about a grand worth of maintenance and upgrades to do to it.

+1
    For 5k you can find a nice fx cruiser. The upside is 4 stroke cheaper in the long run.

+1
    I appreciate all of the input. Do the oil lines need replaced on this 04? We looked at it in the evening and thought they looked clear. Correct me if I'm wrong but these also don't have the cat on them do they? Haven't had a chance to go test ride this ski (hopefully this weekend). I did blue book the ski and I books for around $4200. As long as this thing runs like it should I really have no problem paying in the $4700-5000 range. I'm not finding any 4 strokes in near as good of shape or with any kind of comparable hours for anywhere near 5k around here. I know its not necessarily good for that ski to be sitting but it had 7 hours on it when the guy bought it in 09 so it's not like its been sitting for 6 years (some might argue otherwise).

+1
    4-stroke hrs and 2-stroke hrs are two different worlds. What's high on a 2 is not on a 4...
    As BB said, just know you'll be putting close to 1k in it sooner than later.
    Let us know and post pics

7. +1 by:

+1
    I don't know if these are a dime a dozen out there off of the coasts or not but they are almost non-existent here in the Midwest. There happens to be one 50 miles away thats 4 or 5 years older with triple the hours and fairly beat up for $8500. If all I have to do to it in time is carb rebuilds thats fine with me. I am not looking at trying to get more speed out of this ski or anything like that. All I want it for is for cruising and the occasional tuber. If all checks out ok, and the test ride checks all pan out, I will be buying this ski. I will be sure to post pics when and if that happens.

+1
    4-stroke hrs and 2-stroke hrs are two different worlds. What's high on a 2 is not on a 4...
    As BB said, just know you'll be putting close to 1k in it sooner than later.
    Let us know and post pics

As per my last post, I can't find a 4-stroke with "comparable hours" (100 or less) for anywhere near 5k around here.

+1
    Last edited by mudslanger; 10-12-2016 at 04:41 PM.

+1

I appreciate the help but I also live between Lincoln and Omaha, NE (not real interested in driving 15 hours or more). I'm also not interested in any skis that could have by chance, ever seen salt water. The market up here is a lot different apparently from other locations. I am not looking for a ski that will rip your arms off either, my XLT1200 is plenty fast for me. The SUV is just going to be a fun cruiser that we can load down with beverages of choice, some beach towels, etc.
    Last edited by huskerhunter89; 10-13-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information