Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Polaris Virage 700 single carb, no spark after engine install

I am new to this forum so thank you in advance for any help. I have 2 2003 Polaris Virage 700. Recently one motor seized. Crank failure.

The motor ran fine until failure, with NO electrical issues what so ever. I replaced the motor with a used motor. I used my stator, the other motors fly wheel and my manifolds and carb/exhaust.

during the swap, I replaced the starter relay. I hooked everything back up and it turns over but no spark.

The only things that are different are the screws holding the stator in were a different size and I used Brass screws.

The starter relay which I think I wired correctly and the other motor doesn't have that silver U looking thing on the cooling rail and my motor does.

One thing to note...when I put the 3 grounds together to ground back to the motor, the grounds spark.

Any help would be great !!!
    Last edited by K447; 10-03-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    What is the silver U shaped thing?

First thing to check, assuming the engine install was done correctly, is battery voltage.

The important voltage measurement is while the engine is cranking. Connect multimeter to battery posts, crank engine, read voltage. If it sags below about 10.6 volts the battery is weak and you will not have spark.

Make sure the lanyard is in place.

Why use brass screws for the stator install? Are they the correct length, not a bit too long?

Thank you for the reply. The battery checked out fine. Never dipped below 11.1 Brass screws are the same size and the only ones I could find that were the correct size. I had to rewire the two small wires to the starter relay...if I have those reversed would it cause anything? also, what would cause the two CDI grounds to spark?

here is the sliver thing I was talking about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	400250  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polar1227 View Post
    ... I had to rewire the two small wires to the starter relay...if I have those reversed would it cause anything?

also, what would cause the two CDI grounds to spark?
    Why are you working with disconnected wiring grounds while the battery is connected? Bad idea.

Energized electrical system with partial disconnected ground wiring can cause weird problems and potential for reverse polarity within parts of the electrical system.

The external solenoid coil on Virage and Genesis (and some other models) is polarity sensitive. There is a diode inside the solenoid. If wired up backwards the diode can short or become damaged/open circuit. The diode is there to snub voltage spikes when the Start button is released. Without the diode there can be sharp voltage spikes into the electrical system, which can cause problems.

Since the diode is internal to the solenoid and wired in parallel with the coil it cannot be tested with a multimeter.

It sounds like some of the electrical wiring was damaged or modified. Check carefully that everything correctly matches the factory wiring diagram.

+1
    here is the sliver thing I was talking about.
    That is for grounding the spark plug wires when testing/cranking the engine and not wanting it to fire up.

are there any fuses that could have blown that would keep it from firing?

+1
    are there any fuses that could have blown that would keep it from firing?
    No fuse, but there is an LR module.

You can override the LR 'Orange wire output' by press and hold the Bilge button while cranking the engine. See if you now have spark.

confirmed wiring is correct. Tried pushing bilge and start button at same time and nothing. The connector end of the starker dropped in some
    oil and water in The bottom of the ski. I tried to clean it out. Could that be affecting the stator?

Stator wire

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information