Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Question 2017 VXR vs. 2017 GP1800 - Which to get ?

Hello everyone!

I'm totally new to PWCs and would love some help on choosing the right craft.
    Alright so I did some research here and there nothing to concrete and eventually ended up with these two 2017 VXR/GP1800 , I did looked into the Kawi/Sea Doo, but Yamaha had upper hand the entire time as Im particularly fond of Yamaha products.

I know this is a difficult question to answer but what Im really looking for is basically pros and cons that I didn't already read in my research from people that know what they are talking about for example-

-Supercharged vs Non Supercharged (Im not racing or anything, but is it worth having in the way of having it and not needing it?)

-Overall longevity (will the supercharger bring me headaches?)

-Maintenance (Not afraid to get in there myself)

-Ease of tuning/Bang for buck (Just cause you never know lol plus I may want to go faster in the future)

The PWC will be used mostly recreationally and maybe some playing on waves.
    But most importantly of all really is that first one what exactly am I getting with the supercharger compare to the Non supercharged.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Totally new to PWC?

Have you had any riding experience on a modern watercraft?

The non-supercharged 1.8 liter Yamaha engine is quite strong and provides plenty of acceleration. Completely stock it is a very competent engine and the new-for-2015 VXR/VXS/GP1800 hull is well regarded.

There are some mods available for the NA engine and speeds are reported in the upper 60mph range, IIRC.

The GP1800 of course provides even stronger acceleration and faster top speed, stock. Modifications allow top speeds well over 70.

What kinds of water will you be riding? Passengers or solo?

Is cruise range on a single tank of fuel important?

3. +1 by:

+1
    Be interesting to see how the svho performs in this hull.. there's a reason no one swapped them into the older style hulls .. the FZ !

+1
    depends where you ride

if you ride in rough water a supergharged yamaha can have trouble with the clutch

if you ride in river or flat water supercharged yamaha are good and trouble free.

anyway NA need less fuel than supercharged

+1 for this question, I am in the same situation. Started out wanting the VXR, rode the FZS this summer and loved the power and ended up going to buy an FX SVHO because of better rough water handling, but have now found a good deal on a 2016 VXR. My main concerns are:
    - Will I miss the midrange punch of the SVHO?
    - I have not had the chance to ride the new VX-hull and thus have no clue how it handles.

The top speed is not that important, stock it is approx 5 miles lower and I ride in the sea and plan to take extended trips so fuel economy is a a factor as we pay 1,50 USD per liter (approx 5,80 USD per gallon) so fuel economy is at least nice when fueling up and it is even more expensive at the marina.

The cons of the VXR (which it shares with GP1800) is more limited storage, no gas strut for the front hatch (feels cheap and insecure), no wet storage of lines etc (vs FX), cheaper dash and gauges, more limited space for a GPS map...

+1
    I have a VXR and I love it. Perfect on gas, doesnt require premium so you can fuel at any marina. Acceleration and speed is plenty for a first waverunner.

Top speed is the only downside. Boat reviews will tell you top speeds of 68mph, I have not met one person yet that owns a newer stock VXR and has hit top speeds over 63mph. That is the only downside to the VXR and that is why I should have chosen the GP over the VXR.

So all in all if the top speed will be an issue then go with the GP. Either way you will have a lot more fun than on a SeaDoo. I had a RXT Supercharged and besides top speed it wasnt half the fun that the vxr is.
    Last edited by K447; 10-03-2016 at 10:49 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JMTBLK View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm totally new to PWCs and would love some help on choosing the right craft.
    Alright so I did some research here and there nothing to concrete and eventually ended up with these two 2017 VXR/GP1800 , I did looked into the Kawi/Sea Doo, but Yamaha had upper hand the entire time as Im particularly fond of Yamaha products.

I know this is a difficult question to answer but what Im really looking for is basically pros and cons that I didn't already read in my research from people that know what they are talking about for example-

-Supercharged vs Non Supercharged (Im not racing or anything, but is it worth having in the way of having it and not needing it?)

-Overall longevity (will the supercharger bring me headaches?)

-Maintenance (Not afraid to get in there myself)

-Ease of tuning/Bang for buck (Just cause you never know lol plus I may want to go faster in the future)

The PWC will be used mostly recreationally and maybe some playing on waves.
    But most importantly of all really is that first one what exactly am I getting with the supercharger compare to the Non supercharged.

Thank you in advance for your time.
    Either way you're going to end up with an exceptional product, but the real question is whether you'll be regretting one versus the other after the purchase, depending on needs.

I purchased a VXR a year back with the intent of it becoming my ski, and I was going to let the wife continue to ride my GP1300r, but instead I handed the VXR over to her the majority of the time because it just didn't have enough "oomph" to impress me much more than my 13-year old PWC.

It has better hole-shot, and it can carve its way through the water much more proficiently, but I knew I was still waiting for something that would impress me, and no surprise, I already have my GP1800 ordered and am (im)patiently awaiting its arrival. That being said, there are pros and cons to each:

VXR:

Pros:
    - Incredibly easy maintenance / trouble-free
    - Fuel efficient (it lasts twice as long on a tank of gas as my GP1300r)
    - Less expensive gas (runs perfectly fine on 87 octane)
    - Unequaled versatility (racer, towing/tubing, recreation, cruiser, single & multiple riders, etc)
    - Fast holeshot and top-speed

Cons:
    - Not as fast as the GP1800

GP1800

Pros:
    - Unmitigated performance....more potential than any other product on the market.
    - Tons of aftermarket support to achieve top speeds far superseding the capability of the VXR
    - You will have the biggest, baddest machine on the lake/river/ocean (for now....)

Cons:
    - More maintenance
    - More expensive maintenance
    - More expensive gas
    - More fuel consumption
    - More expensive upfront
    - More $$$ everywhere

So, you have to ask yourself....Do you need it?

And what's the relationship status? Are you going to be riding by yourself, or will there be a spouse/kids/enemies joining you on your excursions? If there's anyone in the household, buy the VXR as your first ski. It will introduce you to what's necessary.

A year/month/week/day after riding you'll be ready to purchase your second craft, and then you'll be ready for the monster for yourself, whatever model it may be then.

Since you're new to the sport, you'll be amazed at how your riding ability will improve for the first couple years. Sure, anybody can get on and ride a PWC, but after a little practice, you'll be able to command your PWC.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Elchenland View Post
    +1 for this question, I am in the same situation. Started out wanting the VXR, rode the FZS this summer and loved the power and ended up going to buy an FX SVHO because of better rough water handling, but have now found a good deal on a 2016 VXR. My main concerns are:
    - Will I miss the midrange punch of the SVHO?
    - I have not had the chance to ride the new VX-hull and thus have no clue how it handles.

The top speed is not that important, stock it is approx 5 miles lower and I ride in the sea and plan to take extended trips so fuel economy is a a factor as we pay 1,50 USD per liter (approx 5,80 USD per gallon) so fuel economy is at least nice when fueling up and it is even more expensive at the marina.

The cons of the VXR (which it shares with GP1800) is more limited storage, no gas strut for the front hatch (feels cheap and insecure), no wet storage of lines etc (vs FX), cheaper dash and gauges, more limited space for a GPS map...
    I think you'll be able to feel the power difference between the FX SVHO and the VXR if I'm being honest. Mathematically, at least theoretically since the SVHO is "rated" at 260hp:

FX SVHO 260 HP / 833 LBS = .31 HP per pound
    VXR 180 HP / 767 LBS = .23 HP per pound
    GP1800 260 HP / 769 LBS = .34 HP per pound

Published performance figures seem to corroborate this, too. The VXR has a 0-30 of 1.8 seconds versus the FX SVHO of 1.5 seconds.

Handling is incredible on the VXR hull. It's crisp, intuitive, and immediate. I don't have any saddle-time in the FX series, so I can't comment on a comparison in the chop, but I've never had an issue on the VXR. The VXR is still light and nimble enough to be "playful" in the chop so you can hop from wave to wave. You can also change your riding position so it cuts through it and can maintain 52 - 55 mph in pretty rough chop.

Where do you live? See if you can find someone nearby that will give you a shot on their VXR.

10. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kmaher View Post
    Since you're new to the sport, you'll be amazed at how your riding ability will improve for the first couple years.

Sure, anybody can get on and ride a PWC, but after a little practice, you'll be able to command your PWC.
    +1

Find a group of experienced and competent riders. Ask them to show you the ropes and then ride with them as much as possible. Ride in different weather, different water conditions, different areas.

Learn how to ride when weather/water/temperature/etc conditions are not perfect.

Learn how to prepare prior to heading to the water, prior to launch, launching. Trip planning, gear to have in board (much more than the legal minimum).

Learn how to navigate in unfamiliar areas, marine regulations, signs, markings and bouy meanings.

And the post ride processes; reloading the trailer, clearing the waterbox, correct tie down methods, cleaning and drying after riding, storage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kmaher View Post
    That being said, there are pros and cons to each:

VXR:

Pros:
    - Incredibly easy maintenance / trouble-free
    - Fuel efficient (it lasts twice as long on a tank of gas as my GP1300r)
    - Less expensive gas (runs perfectly fine on 87 octane)
    - Unequaled versatility (racer, towing/tubing, recreation, cruiser, single & multiple riders, etc)
    - Fast holeshot and top-speed

Cons:
    - Not as fast as the GP1800

GP1800

Pros:
    - Unmitigated performance....more potential than any other product on the market.
    - Tons of aftermarket support to achieve top speeds far superseding the capability of the VXR
    - You will have the biggest, baddest machine on the lake/river/ocean (for now....)

Cons:
    - More maintenance
    - More expensive maintenance

- More expensive gas
    - More fuel consumption
    - More expensive upfront
    - More $$$ everywhere

So, you have to ask yourself....Do you need it?
    What is this "Maintenance... More expensive maintenance" you're describing as a con? What exactly are you talking about?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information