IBR repair is possible?

Hello guys!

I have two GTX 260 IS MY 2011 and only one has a problem with the IBR. The problem is that it sometimes goes into limp mode and it doesn't matter if I ride in waves or flat water. Does anybody know what happened to the IBR when it fails?
    I opened the IBR and couldn't see anything wrong!
    Maybe somebody has a clue instead of buying a new one!
    Probably there is a chip or another part on the circuit board that fails and can be repaired!

Both skis have only 55hours on it!

Thanks for help
    Marc

+1
    I believe 2011 is the last of the first gen IBR system...sorry, there may have been a good reason they changed it but I wish you good luck
    Last edited by skidoochris; 10-02-2016 at 11:59 AM.

+1
    One issue with iBR is it will go into limp mode when the input signal is different than the output (same the opposite way around).

To help trouble-shoot or isolate the issue, try this...

1) Swap iBR trigger module on handlebars (from other working ski). Takes couple minutes! Water test...

2) While running on hose, start ski and put in forward then grab iBR bucket and try to move it (up/down) with a little force. Does it go into limp...?

3) Completely remove the iBR mechanicals in the pump area. Basically, you want to disconnect everything that attaches to the iBR shaft on left side of pump area. This way the iBR can freely cycle through its function without restriction. Then ride and use the iBR lever like you normally would (obviously it will not stop/reverse/neutral). If no limp mode, chances are good you have too much slop in the mechanical assembly (bucket/arm/gate) - However, I doubt there will be worn parts due to only 55hrs. If limp mode, then its very likely an electrical issue.

The iBR electronics (board) uses SMD's so fixing/soldering is a MEGA pain! Don't bother trying, trust me on this.

Thanks for help!
    I also heard that the new Generation of IBR makes trouble!

+1
    I've been looking to get my hands on one of these and figure them out. So far no takers for sending me a non working one.

As far as surface mount components on a pcb they are no problem with a hot air soldering station.

From the pictures I've seen of the ibr electronics looks like they have 2 pcbs and one is not acceptable.

Like i said I need to find one and take it apart.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbird View Post
    I've been looking to get my hands on one of these and figure them out. So far no takers for sending me a non working one.

As far as surface mount components on a pcb they are no problem with a hot air soldering station.

From the pictures I've seen of the ibr electronics looks like they have 2 pcbs and one is not acceptable.

Few years ago I was reballing laptop motherboards with proper equipment and SMD to a very small extent. I hated doing it and gave up on it.

As for a large part of circuit board failures, you can thank "lead free solder" junk ....but I will admit, Kester 63/37 is pretty good stuff

I attached a picture of a spare iBR CB. This module however is in working order so its not getting hacked up as me or friends can use if needed The facing board is held in place with potting goop...but only on the edges. The high-amp leads (I circled), appear to be connected to the daughter board below (require de-soldering for removal).

ps. iBR *cough* bypass module
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibr-pcb-zoom.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	400226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibr-pcb.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	400225  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbird View Post

Few years ago I was reballing laptop motherboards with proper equipment and SMD to a very small extent. I hated doing it and gave up on it.

As for a large part of circuit board failures, you can thank "lead free solder" junk ....but I will admit, Kester 63/37 is pretty good stuff

I attached a picture of a spare iBR CB. This module however is in working order so its not getting hacked up as me or friends can use if needed The facing board is held in place with potting goop...but only on the edges. The high-amp leads (I circled), appear to be connected to the daughter board below (require de-soldering for removal).

ps. iBR *cough* bypass module
    Yeah I have seen pictures but I want to dig in and really see what makes them go bad. Possibly offer a rebuild service.

We (DashPac) do offer a IBR bypass module. But so far it's only for the latest version. Not sure if it works on prior generations of IBR. I would need to get a ski to test on or someone willing to try it.

+1
    If you do buy a new IBR, they dont make the 2011 one anymore so youll have to buy a 2012 up unit with a new cross bar that goes over the bucket and possibly a few bolts

+1
    I have a 2012 IBR OFF of my 2012 rxpx. Text sent. I would gladly help. Its BS WE have to get screwed so bad over freaking IBR. $1500 bucks plus labor is BS.

10. +1 by:

Thread Information