Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

98 SLXH 1050 Running issue? Head scratcher for me....

Hi everyone last 2 times I took my ski out it ran absolutely perfect for about 20 minutes then all of the sudden it bogs way down and backfires and shuts off. It will restart but I have to feather the throttle to get it back to the dock. I am absolutely lost on this. Like I said it runs awesome up to this point. ANY IDEAS for me? I put new plugs in it after it happened the first time thinking it was that but it wasn't. It has the BPR8ES in it. Thanks for your time. Carbs were rebuilt 4 rides ago.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does this machine have the original ignition system installed or the ignition update kit?

It has the upgraded ignition it is hand written 447 on it. I had it out twice before these 2 times it acted up and had a couple hours on it with no issues.

Could the wiring be wrong on the upgrade ignition? I am not sure who did it but would like to varify it for myself to make sure it is wired correctly. Can someone explain how it should be wired? thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeksrs View Post
    Could the wiring be wrong on the upgrade ignition? I am not sure who did it but would like to varify it for myself to make sure it is wired correctly. Can someone explain how it should be wired? thanks
    If the engine was running properly then the update kit installation is probably correct.

With the possible exception of the thin black wire between electrical box and battery negative post. This thin black wire is supposed to be removed or cut and taped off when the ignition update kit is installed. Is this the case for your installation?

Does the battery have a plastic cover installed?

The battery does have the plastic cover installed. And the thin black wire is hooked up on mine.

+1
    The battery does have the plastic cover installed. And the thin black wire is hooked up on mine.
    Disconnect the thin black wire from the battery negative post, coil it up and zip tie it out of the way.

Inspect all the other thin black wires for signs of damage or melting/burning. Inside the electrical box and check the thin black wire in the stator cable bundle.

With battery disconnected, measure ohms from electrical box black wires to engine case. Should measure zero ohms.

Thank you I will do that when I get home from work tonight and I will let you know. Do you think that could be causing the issue?

+1
    ... Do you think that could be causing the issue?
    Diagnostics is a process of checking things and eliminating possibilities. Eventually the problem cause reveals itself or process of elimination points to a likely culprit.

We start with electrical since the ignition update kit has an installation error.

I appreciate your help very much! I will post what I find tonight. Again thank you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information