1995 polaris slx 780, all who can help!

sorry this is my first forum I've been involved in. i have many questions and hope you all can help. I'm not good with these and or computers. only with car computers and whats involved with them.

I've purchased my first watercraft about six weeks ago and performed the basic saftey repairs. i still have to rebuild the carbs? and more!

i am likely going to take it out one more time this weekend and be cold but I've only had it about six weeks and put about 7 hours on it. its a 1995 polaris slx 780 with 178 hours on it. seems to be stock.

i have carb rebuild kits and needle and seats coming, along with the intake gaskets. i will inspect the reed valves as i take it apart. are these a problem? if i replace them is it worth it for more top end? I've been at about 6300rpm WOT.

I also am going to replace the oil injection lines this winter as i would like to keep the injection system as it is working even though I've run about 50:1 with it and haven't fouled a plug. id'e rather do that then cook the motor.

i still plenty to do but would like a little more top end i don't know if reed valves or cheep but not things will help? were do i start?

I've heard triple pipes help but unless i can get them cheap? it may not be worth it.

my 2 and 6 year old both ride it with me and my wife. so safety is most important.

the ski is darn fast and we are both happy with it. so for me a bit more easy top end would make me happy or i would just like to make it right the way it is.

also it came with bpr9es ngk plugs? is this ok its been fine but i see it should have bpr8es ngk plugs wich i will likely buy this winter.

this is a fun ski and will have more for you guys but i ask for you experienced guys for help I'm not a 2 stroke guy, just learning. I've read a lot about these engines but want to make this 21 year old ski awesome! wish i was 21
    Last edited by K447; 09-29-2016 at 09:38 PM.

+1
    Welcome , if this is the family ski I would leave the motor stock until everyone gets more experience
    Do the carbs ,fuel lines ,oil lines,selector valve ,water separater and go through the pump

3. +1 by:

i have replaced the fuel lines. oil lines this winter. selector valve i replaced. water valve i cleaned and removed as much of the deposit as i could, braking it it up as far as i could. as far as the glue or resin. I've rebuilt the fuel pump, and replaced fuel lines. this thing now has about 178 hours on it. what is next as far as maintenance? I'm ok to keep it stock as a 21 year old ski. should i put a filter after the separator?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... my 2 and 6 year old both ride it with me and my wife. so safety is most important.
    This is the two seater SLX model, correct?

I would caution against taking small children on it. Placing a child in front of the adult creates a risk of the child being forced forward into the handlebars or hood by the impact of a surprise wave or the weight of the adult being thrown forward. In some areas it is illegal to have a child in front.

A child sitting behind the driver must be tall enough for feet to reach the footwells and have the arm strength to hang on during sudden turns or wave hits.

The SLX is really a one person machine that can tolerate a second light weight adult passenger but the hull is most stable with just the rider.

The three passenger SLT and newer/larger models are more stable with two people and can tolerate three, but the cautions regarding small children remain.

http://www.personalwatercraft.com/fe...hild-1047.html

http://www.insuramatch.com/news/9-th...aft-pwc-safety

http://www.annin.com/downloads/MARIN...oat_Safety.pdf

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MARINE_Children_and_Boat_Safety.pdf  

+1
    K447 has a good point about the kids ,both mine have rode with me at 5 and in front on both the jet ski and snowmobile it may not be smart but I think common cents has to play a big part when kids are involved

Thread Information